If you are trying to decide between a Browning Silver Hunter and an A5 then this may help you.

The A5 weighs about 1/3 less then the Silver Hunter, but the felt recoil is greater on the A5.

The A5 comes with shims which make all the difference in the world for point of aim. Note: After shimming my A5 and noticing a 50% increase in hits, I made my own shims out of washers for my Silver Hunter. Again, another 50% increase in hits.

Reliability is 100% for both shotguns. I have run about 5 cases of shells through each of them and cleaned them only two times: the past two Septembers. I have never had a stove pipe, ejection problem, or failure to feed.

Quality of design goes to the Silver Hunter. I was walking in the Brazos river last duck season with my A5 when I heard a "Kerplunk". I froze and started doing inventory. It turned out that the bolt handle on the A5 had fallen out of the Bolt and sank in the river. The bolt handle is held in to the bolt by friction alone, so it just slid out. That little piece of metal cost me a $50.00 bill.

Finish on both shotguns is substandard. Both the Silver and A5 have the camo dipped finish and it is wearing and peeling off both shotguns. If I were doing it again I would buy walnut instead of camo.

Loading Function goes to the Silver Hunter. If you eject a shell from the chamber of the A5 without pulling the trigger you have to push a button before another shell can be loaded into the chamber. After you push the button, then you can pull the bolt back and load a shell. That is an uneccessary pain in the butt. The Silver hunter automatically chambers the next shell when you pull the bolt back with no buttons to push before hand.

Recoil is slightly less on the Silver because of the weight difference.

Both shotguns cycle 2.75", 3" and 3.5" shells perfectly. I mix and match shell lengths all the time and have never had a jam or misfeed.

If I could only buy one shotgun I would choose the Silver Hunter. The difference in weight is not enough to justify the expense of the A5. Shimming the Silver Hunter is mandatory, because the factory puts the stock in line with the barrel. If you are right handed you need to move the stock right and down. If you are a lefty shooter you need to move it left and down.

Quick tip: Tape a drinking straw length ways to the top of the barrel at the muzzle end. Next close your eyes and shoulder the shotgun. AFter it is shouldered open your eyes. If you cannot see through the drinking straw when you open your eyes then you need to shim the shotgun stock until you can. When you can open your eyes and see straight through the drinking straw you will have your natural point of aim.

Last edited by Bluesea112; 09/25/16 12:49 AM.