Page 1 of 2 1 2
Been trying to decide on a UTV #6417839 08/21/16 06:06 AM
W
Wacm Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
W
I started with thinking about buying one of those Massimo UTV,s at Tractor Supply. Then I saw a few bad reviews and been leaning toward a Polaris 570.
Anyone on here own a Massimo 500 or 700? How do you like it.
I noticed the BBB has had issues with Massimo but I think it's more issues with them and their 1 yr warranty

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6417963 08/21/16 01:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Polaris, Honda, Mirhanda. I would never buy those off brands.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6417975 08/21/16 01:57 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I went from having Honda and Kawasaki four wheelers to a golf cart before buying my UTV. When the golf cart died, I wanted something like that, but with more power and an engine. My budget was only a couple grand, but the longer I looked, the more I realized that I needed to reconsider my budget. I decided to finance it and was pleasantly surprised that with a few grand down, I could get just about anything out there for a hundred dollars a month payment. I looked at all of them and read tons of reviews, posted questions about different brands and in the end, went with the Kawasaki TransMule 4x4. I paid it off in two years, and after four years, still think it was the best choice out there. It's faster then I ever go, it's super easy to operate. My parents are 76 and 80, and both drive it more then I do. Friends come over and use it all the time, it's super reliable, solid and extremely useful. One of those things that I can't imagine how I got along without it.

There are plenty of other good brands out there, but the one thing I would avoid is any of the Chinese cheaper models. They have a bad reputation for a reason. The fun is in being able to use it, nor wrench on it or try to find parts for it.

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418030 08/21/16 02:44 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I also looked and looked and looked. Didn't have the money for a new one, so I bought a used Kawasaki Mule that carries 4 adults. It was a 2006 model and I bought it in March of 2016. As EddieWalker said, "I can't imagine how I got along without it." I bought it here on THF and have already put more hours on it than it had on it when I bought it. Here is a photo of my wife driving it.

Last edited by Mr. T.; 08/21/16 02:53 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418147 08/21/16 04:46 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Yours looks like mine except I cut the back screen in half so I could use the dump without hitting the roof. I have the factory roof from Kawasaki and it stuck out too far back, which made no sense to me at all. I also have power steering and the engine is fuel injection. We use it from getting the mail, to hauling fishing gear down to the pond, to carrying firewood from the field to the wood pile, and carrying boxes and burnable stuff to the burn pile. The list goes on and on!!!

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418218 08/21/16 05:38 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Handiest tool I have in my Hunting Arsenal...Love the smooth ride, my next will be a Diesel and PM Navasot he sells a mean Unit cheers

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418226 08/21/16 05:46 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Get a Mule.........I'm on my 5th one. First one a 92' is still running strong..

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418237 08/21/16 05:54 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I am on my 2 nd one and when wears I will another

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: sallysue] #6418244 08/21/16 05:56 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: sallysue
I am on my 2 nd one and when wears I will another

As will I.........

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418318 08/21/16 07:11 PM
T
Tex68w Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Polaris! You can't go wrong with a Mule either. The Yamaha is nice but I hate the location of their guages and they are behind on the power curve in comparison to the others. I'd stay away from the off brand Chinese and Korean UTV's, you'll end up spending a lot more to fix it and that's if you can source parts.

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418341 08/21/16 07:32 PM
B
BudMan Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Here's my Mule story. The wifey was unable to get in our ranch road as it was raining cats and dogs. I mean a HARD rain and so she called and I said to park at the gate and I'll pick her up in the Mule. I did not have a windshield so I am hauling butt across the pasture in the rainstorm holding an old umbrella in front of me and peeking out around it to see where I am driving. Well as it turned out I t-boned the only dang tree in the whole 80ac. pasture. I hit so hard that the steering wheel cracked several of my ribs and I had a steering wheel shaped bruise across my chest. The tree bent in the brush guard a little and that was it. Cranked right up and is still running to this day. That mule is tough!!!
On a side note; the next day we went to look and you can see my tire tracks curve in a perfect arc all the way across the pasture right into the tree. hammer

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418597 08/21/16 11:12 PM
U
USMC89 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
Love my Yamaha Viking. Has some get up and go will run around 55mph and doesn't take long to get there, but has the big bed for hauling whatever you need and plenty of room inside.

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418647 08/21/16 11:35 PM
W
Wacm Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
W
Wow that Yamaha is a beast. Eddie Walker made a great point. For 1000 more I could get any of the other brands. We own a mule . It's a bare bones one. It's kind of my wife's as she went and painted it pink. It's been reliable except for the time she put stale gas in it. It's just really weak though. After these posts I'll check them out again and look into a bigger one. I really liked the Polaris but I don't care for the plastic bed. My lease is north of Abilene and when it rains there you better be on your way out cause the roads get so bad. My truck with MTs didn't stand a chance on those roads. I slid sideways into a ditch last season.
I'm a little limited on size cause my trailer is 5x10. I don't want to get another one. Man that Yamaha is cool though.
Thanks for the repays guys

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6418905 08/22/16 01:36 AM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Had a 2011 ranger crew 800. Never had any issues with it. Upgraded to a 2016 ranger crew 900 last December. Have had nothing but problems. Kicking myself now for upgrading! bang

Luckily I purchased the Platitum warranty so it hasn't costed me any additional money, yet!

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6419047 08/22/16 02:55 AM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've got a Mule 4010, Yamaha Rhino and a CJ-5. If you absolutely have to have a UTV you can't go wrong with the Mule. For the same money or less you can by an old CJ. The CJ-5 is shorter, stouter, quieter, and will out perform the mule and I can drive it to town.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6419222 08/22/16 11:45 AM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I wouldnt take a newer model polaris if someone gave it to me. They are a company that doesnt stand behind their product.

I was in the market several months ago and looked, and teat drove and researched these units a ton.

Wound up buying a Honda Pioneer 700. Havent looked back. Best purchase Ive ever made

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6419274 08/22/16 12:37 PM
K
Kingsview Safaris Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Funny I came across this thread. Been looking to buy a UTV for our operation but prices here in South Africa are just outrages. Seems selling prices in the US are a fraction of the cost here.
Anyone willing to purchase one in the States and drive it over here to Africa, you get a free hunt on me! up

Jono and Justine McHugh
Eastern Cape, South Africa
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
Listen to our Podcast: Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: FoxTrot] #6419313 08/22/16 01:16 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: FoxTrot
Wound up buying a Honda Pioneer 700. Havent looked back. Best purchase Ive ever made

I looked at a hunting club here in Alabama. The guy that gave me the tour said Honda was the only thing he ever bought. The reason was it uses a drive shaft, not a belt for propulsion.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: FoxTrot] #6419409 08/22/16 02:24 PM
T
Tex68w Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I wouldnt take a newer model polaris if someone gave it to me. They are a company that doesnt stand behind their product.

I was in the market several months ago and looked, and teat drove and researched these units a ton.

Let us know how things are working out for you when that oh so wonderful DCT has your beloved Honda in the shop and they don't stand behind their product. The Pioneer hasn't been out even a year and it's plagued with transmission issues that, surprise, Honda doesn't want to take credit for or stand behind under warranty. Don't believe me, go have a look over on the Honda Pioneer forum and look at how many threads there are about clutch and transmission issues and how many are so disappointed in the Pioneer and how they wish they would have stayed with XY or Z brand instead. Polaris burns up a belt, no worries, I have a spare ($100) and thirty minutes on the side of the trail and I'm back up and running. Your dual clutch tranny craps out on you in that Honda (odds are high it appears based off of owner feedback) and you are stranded and at the mercy of the stealership and their techs that make a living off of book rate on whatever needs to be fixed.

I think all of the major brands have pro's and cons when it comes to their particular unit but I wouldn't throw another brand under the bus and claim that Honda is the answer when they are unproven and at the moment have a less than stellar track record.

Last edited by Grandpa Lee; 08/22/16 02:28 PM.
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6419850 08/22/16 06:31 PM
C
C.K. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Mules are awesome if you don't need speed.

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6420010 08/22/16 07:56 PM
H
HELI_HOGGIN Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
POLARIS ALL THE WAY!!! I just purchased a 570 crew xp, and haven't stopped smiling since the first minute I got it home. The quality is top notch, the ride is remarkably smooth for a sidexside. If you are looking for a work horse for the hunting lease or just something to cruise around in, you can't go wrong with the ranger!!! Just my opinion from my experience.

Randy Pitman
AERIAL DEPREDATION SERVICES.
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Tex68w] #6420182 08/22/16 10:11 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Grandpa Lee

Let us know how things are working out for you when that oh so wonderful DCT has your beloved Honda in the shop and they don't stand behind their product. The Pioneer hasn't been out even a year and it's plagued with transmission issues that, surprise, Honda doesn't want to take credit for or stand behind under warranty. Don't believe me, go have a look over on the Honda Pioneer forum and look at how many threads there are about clutch and transmission issues and how many are so disappointed in the Pioneer and how they wish they would have stayed with XY or Z brand instead. Polaris burns up a belt, no worries, I have a spare ($100) and thirty minutes on the side of the trail and I'm back up and running. Your dual clutch tranny craps out on you in that Honda (odds are high it appears based off of owner feedback) and you are stranded and at the mercy of the stealership and their techs that make a living off of book rate on whatever needs to be fixed.

I think all of the major brands have pro's and cons when it comes to their particular unit but I wouldn't throw another brand under the bus and claim that Honda is the answer when they are unproven and at the moment have a less than stellar track record.

I have to agree with him - had 3 Ranger 6x6's. First one good and next two sucked. They started farming out their parts and I had nothing but issues. Plus they were impossible to contact or try to get help from to solve issues. I am not promoting Honda or any other brand but IMO the Polaris has gone way down hill - I am done with them

You can't fix stupid
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6421074 08/23/16 05:08 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I just got a cub cadet wich is ok but way under powered in my opinion. got the 700 model and im no speed nut but not sure on how long it will last.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6421137 08/23/16 06:08 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Take a look at the new John Deere Gators. They have made a big change in recent years. I just bought a new model in May. Very smooth ride, plenty of power and torque. If you don't care about going 50 mph then these are a great workhorse with a top speed of about 42 mph. I don't have any issues with mine. Maintenance is easy and its been very durable. It came down to that or the Mule. I choose the John Deere because I can find several dealers within one hour or less from me and I can always get parts and service I need from a company that's been around a very long time. $14k is what I paid for mine. Seats four and is 4x4.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Been trying to decide on a UTV [Re: Wacm] #6421159 08/23/16 06:30 PM
J
Jim B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I like my Mule pro fxt tops out @46mph and has enough power for what I need

Jim
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread