Print Thread
Introduction and hog hunting intentions #6365268 07/11/16 12:53 PM
J
J-Tar Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I didn't see an intro section so since my main reason for joining is feral hogs I'll just write my intro here along with my reasons and intentions for joining your forum.
I have been a life long avid outdoorsman and always knew someday Id like to learn to hunt properly, safely,and ethically. Im mostly interested in deer and feral hogs. After a recent trip, my 5th visit to Hawaii's big island I saw the utter destruction the feral pigs have done to such a special ecosystem. I knew after that that I want to help and also begin a new sport.
I have been reading and watching as much as I can on hunting in general but mostly on hogs and Texas seems to have the worst problem in the CONUS. I live in Oregon and we don't have too many pigs up here that the ranchers need any help with, California is too expensive to hunt pigs IMO so I think Texas is where I'd like to check out with 2 experienced deer and elk hunters that are close friends but none of us have any hog exp.

I have bought a decent 10.5" ar15 300 Blackout with a Vortex Crossfire II scope. I tend to do a lot of reseraching before I buy things and would appreciate feedback on my choices.

We plan on getting our hunting Lisc's asap so we can get hunting in the summer peak season but I think I would prefer hiring a guide and hunting public land as in stalking rather than pay lots of money at one of those hunting ranches I see videos from. They look great but I'd prefer to start off stalking plus those ranches get pretty expensive when its all said and done.

I understand feral pigs are a very unique game and also can be quite dangerous. Hence we think its best to hire a seasoned guide for our first few hunts. So another reason I joined was to look for recommendations on guides for hire that are not part of a hunting ranch.

I am a former infantryman in the USMC 1990-1994. I have stayed current at the range over the years and feel most comfortable with an AR15 style rifle. Its good to meet you all and hope to learn as much as I can, then ask questions if I need clarification or do not understand something. Im not here to be spoon fed the easily found info as is common on forums. I appreciate in advance any feedback or suggestions. Once quation I would like to here form you all is your prefered shot placement. It seems like taking out the pigs spine just at the head and neck is a good shot to drop a pig instantly. And if they move a bit you still end up with either a head shot or a heart shot. Whats your favorite aim point inside of 100 yards? 50 yards?? Close range?

I am planning on using Vortex Black tipped 120 grain 300 BLK rounds on these swine. I thought a little extra grain to the bulle would be a good things since I doubt Ill be taking longer shots than over 100 yards while I am learning to mkake clean ethical kills. Thought and opinions welcomed.
Thank you,
Jeff

Last edited by J-Tar; 07/11/16 01:18 PM.
Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6365286 07/11/16 01:15 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Inside 100 I'm taking a head shot. Check out the outfitters and guides section of the forum for guided hunts. 300blk out is a good caliber but wouldn't be my first choice especially when shooting at longer distances. Possibly see about getting a .308 upper for your ar

Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6365611 07/11/16 05:47 PM
S
specialed309 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Welcome.
My experience has led me to believe hogs are not as dangerous as media portrays them to be. Yes, I've had a sounder run my way. Only because I was shooting their siblings on multiple occasions.
Finally, I'd stick to 110gr bullets. What you lose in velocity will limit your range in for bullet to perform optimally. I've hand loaded from 110-220 Subs. The 110's were optimal. Heck, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Good luck.

Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6365698 07/11/16 07:00 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
you need to invest in either a night vision scope or thermal scope if
want to stay in this sport

optical scope will limit your harvest potential

Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6365858 07/11/16 08:56 PM
J
J-Tar Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thank you all for your replies.
I do plan on investing in night vision scope in the future but all in due time. First Id like to get my feet muddy and hands bloody. I also am applying for a suppressor tax stamp. I bought a Sig MPX 9mm and have been told you can use a 9mm suppressor on a 300 BLK. That would be nice to only need one tax stand and able to use the same suppressor on both weapons.Could anyone confirm this as true?

I also wish to upgrade my upper receiver in time. The one I bought is what I would call entry level. It will get the job done but definitely not high quality. If I lived in Texas, I would but these tools now but I decided let me see how often I get out there and hunt before I spend thousands of dollars. In the meantime, what I have is adequate for me to learn to hunt and stalk prey with and certainly will drop a pig dead with proper shot placment.

So 110 grain it is. Seems to have more reviews that Votex's bigger brother the 120 grain round.
Thanks all
Jeff

Last edited by J-Tar; 07/11/16 08:58 PM.
Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6365955 07/11/16 09:49 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
If you're sighted in for 75-80 yards, anything from 110 to 130 grains is probably all right. Having said that, I'm moving to 110 grain bullets myself in my 300 BLK just because there's a better selection.

As for the suppressor, I'm not an expert but given that the 9mm is larger than the .308 of the 300 BLK, I can't see any reason it shouldn't work. It may not be quite as quiet as a dedicated 300 BLK suppressor, but it should certainly do pretty well. YMMV, IANAL, IDK

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6366514 07/12/16 05:19 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We don't have much public and what we do have limits what weapon you may use. Plus none allow night hunting as far as I know. Stalking without dogs is pretty hard unless you have feed for them and access to land. I would shop around for an outfitter. Most will put you on a feeder with lights and it gets the job done. Otherwise you will need a thermal for field type hunting. We use a high rack and will corn a road and sit and wait. Just use lights and it works but have to have the equipment and land access to do it.

I'll be heading up to Bend in August to escape this heat!

Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6367215 07/12/16 10:18 PM
J
J-Tar Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thanks for the replies. Well, it appears I won't be hunting anything anytime soon with the rifles I purchased. I am setting up an NFA trust and applying for my tax stamps for my SBR but the wait time will be a couple months. Expected time for suppressors stamps even longer a year or more.
I bought a sig mpx to keep me occupied in the meantime.

Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6371717 07/17/16 02:17 AM
B
Beckett Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I shoot em all the time with the 110 gr Barnes in 300 Blackout. Loaded with a max charge of H-110, I get 2400 fps in a 16 inch barrel and I estimate 2200 in my 12 in barrel. Shot this guy Wednesday with my short barrel and it killed him fine. As with all calibers, shot placement is the main factor in recovering a feral hog.

I would call "The Silencer Shop" in Austin and talk to them about which suppressor would work as a pistol / rifle combo. They are the highest volume dealer in the US and very helpful on the phone.

Also, don't pay much attention to the "danger mongers" when hog hunting. A whitetail buck is just as dangerous wounded and cornered as a feral hog. In my experience, pigs are scared sh**less of humans.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6386430 07/29/16 01:23 AM
H
Hogz Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Welcome to the group..and a word of caution.... Hog hunting is ADDICTING!! I have been hunting them for 16 yrs now...mostly in Oklahoma and Texas. I look forward to our annual hog hunt as much as I do opening day!!

We drive down to north Texas to hunt hogs these days. We have a large area (11000 acres) of private property that he hunt for a couple days. Since this is private property..our success is hit or miss(pun intended). Sometimes the hogs are in the area, other times we are just sitting in the dark. So to ensure we bring hogs back every year, we hit HUNTERS CREEK RANCH just outside Mt Vernon, Texas for 2 days on our way back north.
Bob and Doreen run a GREAT ranch and would be a great asset to you on your first hog hunt. The price is hard to beat especially with what is included..

For $275/day...you get room and board, 3 meals a day and 2 pigs a day (1 over 100lbs and 1 under). I think the furthest shot they have is 100 yds.

Check em out at :

www.hunterscreekranchtx.com

You'll be glad you did!! If you want any other info, let me know.

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: Introduction and hog hunting intentions [Re: J-Tar] #6386974 07/29/16 02:40 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Unless you live in very close proximity to public land, it's easier and probably cheaper in the long run to hog hunt on private land. It's certainly more productive. Without fail, invest in a Sightmark Photon XT ($500 - $650) and a good IR illuminator (Streamlight 88704) as soon as possible. At least 80% of your opportunities will be at night. It's not that you can't hunt pigs during the day, it's just that it's typically much less productive; and it's brutal in the summer.

Finally, when it comes to hogs, bullet placement is king. Draw a line between the eyes and the point of the shoulder. Any place along that line will hit bone and anchor your hog promptly. Do not aim behind the shoulder unless you like searching for hogs.

Good luck, stay safe and have fun.

Last edited by syncerus; 07/29/16 02:41 PM. Reason: gramma

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide