Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Home invasion #6276668 04/27/16 01:12 AM
68A Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Just wondering if anyone has or knows someone that has experienced one that they wouldn't mind sharing the story of. Just curious an expected reaction vs actual reaction.

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276698 04/27/16 01:24 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
What do you want to know?

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276716 04/27/16 01:29 AM
68A Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
As the original post says, ones expected reaction vs how they actually reacted. I'm sure many people have trained or thought how they would react to someone coming through a door or window in a particular part of their home. Curious for those that have actually experienced it, if they reacted how they thought they would.

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276806 04/27/16 02:09 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
So a young female knocks on the door about 830 at night. The family answers the door to see what she needs. 3 dudes rush in and over take the whole family downstairs. They duct tape the 4-5 downstairs to include 2 very elders. They are holding everybody at gun point and began pistol whipping the dad asking where the gold at. Mom and 12 year old son are watching from upstairs. Boy goes and hides under the bed and calls 911. Meanwhile they are still working on dad to get into the safe. Lol, he tells them the wife has the combo and she is upstairs. Now they go get her and tape her up. So this goes on for a few minutes.
Once the call is received the good guys rolled up with a team of 7 within 5 minutes. We approach and see brakes lights light up in front of the home. 3 contact the female driver which turns out to be the get away driver. As myself and two more approach the house I see an open gate and hear bodies jumping a fence but can't see. We enter the back yard and look into the house to see 12 year old boy in taping his family. We surround the area best we can and notify neighbor city and call in the dogs. We also call a helicopter.
The dog tracks for about a mile and when the bird starts spotlighting the neighbor city gets a call about a carjacking. Our suspects carjacked a guy when he got home. That car goes 15 miles south and is chased down. 2 of 3 are caught. 3 escapes for about two more days and is found in Houston and picked up and brought back.

Family got very traumatized for a little bit of "worship" jewels and the house ram sacked.
All said and done after debriefing with the family the father said even if he had a gun he would not have been able to use it because the take over was so fast and they were dominating the family at gun point. He said he might have got one bit his family would be dead. It was just luck his son had the smarts to hide and call, just like on tv.
This stopped a big ring of invasions and burglaries and we got lucky because the driver parked on a cul de sac.

So story is if somebody has the drop there isn't much one can do.

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276824 04/27/16 02:16 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Like BIL story, I have never worked a Home Invasion where it was just 1 suspect. My friends make fun of me, but when I'm home I have the alarm set on panic. A home invasion is never a gentle or friendly encounter, it's usually a group that's not afraid to use force to get what they want.

Plan for the worst, but be realistic and accept the fact that you may not be able to do anything except cooperate. It could save your life

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276827 04/27/16 02:17 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
It sucks, too fast to know what the [censored] to do. Even if all my guns weren't in my gf's truck I prob would've shot one and got all my roommates killed.

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276835 04/27/16 02:20 AM
68A Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Not much you could do there. Obviously you're LEO, is it more common to see the bad guys armed or unarmed during an invasion?

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276844 04/27/16 02:24 AM
68A Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Typically do they kick in doors, windows or do they have some kind of method like what BIL mentioned?

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276851 04/27/16 02:28 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I don't answer the door unless I know the person ringing the door bell. I also keep my doors locked and alarm on. Its not living in fear its just giving me an extra couple seconds to get the family into the bedroom, call cops, and grab a gun.Hope it never happens to us.

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276854 04/27/16 02:29 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
99% are armed, or make it appear they are.

I'd say it's a 50/50 mix of kicking doors vs using a ruse. The idea behind the ruse is to calm the people down, also gets them to disable any alarms. Kicking a door can create unwanted problems for the bad guys.

I have seen a few invasions where the suspects weren't armed, they were simply burglars who didn't know somebody was home. Victim was taking a shower, once the suspects saw her, they had been in there 20 minutes and panicked. They fled the house but we were close and caught them. Most burglars are non confrontational, robbers seek victims.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276897 04/27/16 02:51 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Unknown target they will tend to knock at the front door, when nobody answers they will go around back and kick the door or break a window undo the locks and open the window. I see more kicks than anything.
These guys pose a lot as door to door salesman or solicitors. If you only knew how big pos most these guys are.
A true robber invasion mindset doesn't care and they are armed usually. Burglars don't want confrontation.
A lot that we see or find out are totally stoned out of their mind and have really no clue what they are doing.
Have seen a video of 4 kids that entered a home because the guy forgot to shut the garage. They rummaged his office and took his box wine as he slept 20' away. The dog woke him but to late. He probably would have got hurt. Bad guys were 14-17 and got caught because they got stopped because they didn't turn headlights on after they left.

Another one is when you have contractors working in your home. They will unlock Windows and doors and come back later.

Personally I usually don't answer the front door and wait to see if they come to the back door at my house. Dogs, locked gates, and tempered glass screen doors are your friends.

None of this stuff will keep a professional out

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6276925 04/27/16 03:13 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I'm armed even watching television. If the doorbell rings the door isn't answered unless we know whom it is. If I chose to answer it my sidearm is in my hand. They may get in, they may kill us all, but they will suffer losses as well.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277013 04/27/16 04:50 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
My sister and I were back home when I was in college and she was going through a divorce. My parents left for the weekend and my sister was supposed to be flying in around 3am that morning, so I decided to wait up for her. It was raining that night and my beer was in the cooler in the back of the truck, so I would put my boots on, grab a couple and go back inside. There was a motion detector light on the front porch and I would set the alarm each time I came back in.

I was in the back room (down a long hallway from the door) watching tv. No other lights were on. I heard a rattle and "thud" coming from the entrance. It was about 3:15am so I figured my sister had finally made it home and couldn't get in the door. I could tell the porch light had come on and heard another thud as I got closer.

When I got to the entry way, I could tell pretty quick it wasn't my sister. Someone taller and wearing a hood was on the front porch. He kept messing with the knob and would lower his shoulder into the door occasionally.

I went back and grabbed the shotgun I kept by my bed. Honestly, not as much went through my head as I thought it would. I went to one knee in the hallway at the edge of the entry and pointed the gun at the door. There was never a doubt in my mind I was pulling the trigger as soon as he made it through the door. Looking back, there were a lot of things I could of/should of done, but in the moment, that is what I did.

I guess the motion detector only detects motion on the porch and not that close to the door because it went off. It startled him and I saw him look up. Pretty sure at that point, he could see me in the hall and he bolted. Out of reaction, I took off after him (stupid I know). I chased him down the street, around a curve and stopped when he started jumping fences.

On my way back, a neighbor around the corner was out in his garage working on his car and had seen me chasing the guy. I stopped and talk to him and told him the story. We didn't talk long, mainly because I was still in my boots and boxers from my beer run.

When I left and went around the corner, there were two police cars with lights on at the house. Response time was impressive, had to be 6-8 minutes from when I ran out the door. I had forgot about the alarm and triggered it.

I walked to the edge of the property and announced my self. Guns drawn, they disarmed me of my shotgun and began the questions (including all the empties by the tv and I was underage).

Once they figured out I was who I said I was and not some nut running the streets in boots and boxers with s shotgun, they filled out some paperwork and wrote the report. There had been some robberies in the area lately and they assume it was the same guy.

Also got the lecture about pursuing and being armed while I did it.

Anyway, luckily the robber was a complete idiot. Watching the house would have told him I was there as I had been going in and out for beer. Looking in the front window, he should have been able to see the glow from the tv. It did surprise me how quick and easy I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to shoot him though. Sometimes I wondered if it was the alcohol, but life experience taught me later that it probably wasn't.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277092 04/27/16 11:56 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Last week a guy that I work with heard a knock on the door around 8 pm. He went to the door where he was told that it was Dominoes Pizza. He did not order one but thought his wife may have have since she was working late at her job. He opened the door only to find a guy with hooded mask pointing a gun at him. He forced his way into his apartment where he was zip tied up. Burgler asked him where all the valuables were as he dragged him through constantly telling him that he was going to kill him if he did not show him everything. At one point the burgler showed a large Bowie knife asking him if that was all he had as far as cash and jewelry. He told him that if he was lying that he would cut his hands off. After the room were ran sacked, a pillow case was put over my co-workers head where he was told he was going to be shot. He begged for his life repeatedly and began to pray. The burgler asked if he believed in God and my co-worker said yes. The burgler said well I guess he saved your life tonight. The burgler then left. It took about 30 minutes for the cops to arrive after they were called.

FYI: Wife did not like a gun to be in the house, her view point has changed since then and the already have a 9mm.

Last edited by GLC; 04/27/16 03:29 PM.

Re: Home invasion [Re: SapperTitan] #6277262 04/27/16 01:50 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
... its just giving me an extra couple seconds to get the family into the bedroom, call cops, and grab a gun.

^^^ This. I try to keep in mind things that will slow a crook down to give me a few extra seconds or more. The immediate attack is the hardest one to defend. We had several home invasions in our neighborhood, with similar stories as told above.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277331 04/27/16 02:29 PM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Man I love visiting and hunting your fine state but some of these stories are crazy. We built our house 20 years ago and we don't have locks on the doors. Never been locked ever. I suppose it may change some day but until than I'll count my blessings.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Home invasion [Re: Hirogen] #6277336 04/27/16 02:34 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Hirogen
Man I love visiting and hunting your fine state but some of these stories are crazy. We built our house 20 years ago and we don't have locks on the doors. Never been locked ever. I suppose it may change some day but until than I'll count my blessings.

you also don't have over 300 people moving into your area per day either

Re: Home invasion [Re: passthru] #6277347 04/27/16 02:42 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: passthru
If the doorbell rings the door isn't answered unless we know whom it is. They may get in, they may kill us all, but they will suffer losses as well.

same here, i don't open door unless I know who it is or see who it is on my CCTV

It's a good policy to have and everyone should practice it

also my door can't be kicked in, it's 300 lbs metal door w frame bolted to concrete, so they'll
have to break a window - that sound will trigger lead flying towards any uninvited guests
... they will suffer losses

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277381 04/27/16 03:09 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Mine was an attempted invasion. In retrospect it all makes sense - but at the time I thought it was weird; I think I was being naive.

About 3:30 AM of the 2011 Bow Opener I headed to the truck and began loading it. I was grabbing the last of my gear to put in the truck and a pimptastic Crown Vic cruises down the street. I was walking from the garage straight down my driveway with the truck doors open, so they never saw me. I thought it was odd, so I waited about 5 minutes and they came back. About that time a 'way down the street' neighbor drove by - presumably to go hunt as well and the Crown Vic kept going. I left the house lights on and really didn't think a lot about it again as the bride was away for the weekend as well.

My wife's plans to be away that whole weekend fell through so she was home alone Saturday night. At this point I had forgotten about the cruising car early that morning.

About 1:30 AM my bride hears weird noises at the laundry room door. Then a very loud bang in our laundry room. She grabs the LCP that stays by her night stand when I am away and then calls the cops. At this point, Mama Bear is in full on protect mode. She runs to the laundry room (fortunately the interior door is closed) pistol in hand and yells that she has a gun and they need to leave. A scuffle is heard and then silence. Cops show up shortly thereafter and open the laundry room. The intruders had kicked in the dog door and were either trying to wriggle through it or reach the door knob and knocked over the ironing board and iron in the process.

I made the 125 mile drive home in less than an hour and a half that night. FWPD pulled up right as I got home to make sure I was who I said I was, so there was a bit of relief that they were in the neighborhood in my absence as there had been a string of break-ins. It was also reassuring to know the ghetto bird was scrambled that night as well.

Re: Home invasion [Re: Hirogen] #6277398 04/27/16 03:23 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Hirogen

I hear you. Even out in the country here it's gotten where you cannot leave your doors unlocked. This country is in a downward spiral when it comes to crime and politics. Realistically I don't see it improving until we start killing off the people who survive on preying off of other people. Including those who steal identities. If we just start lining them up and hanging or shooting them in the town square we will cut down on their numbers and discourage others from following that path.

I just know that the way to handle it is not to hide in fear behind a locked door hoping for the police to protect you. I refuse to be a cowering victim.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277413 04/27/16 03:34 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Passthru is right. We live out in the country and are lucky that we have little crime. We did for a while, but I assume those high school kids graduated and moved on.

My real worry is that I can't expect LEO's to get here quickly, so we are on our own in the event of trouble.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277460 04/27/16 04:16 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Fortunately, I've never been the victim of a home invasion but my next door neighbor was. My buddy was working nights and his wife awoke to a creep crawling on top of her in the bed. She reached over to the night stand and grabbed the first thing she could, a ball point pen. She stabbed him with it once in the face and twice in the chest until the pen broke. He ran out of the house like his hair was on fire. The cops picked up the guy in the ER the next town over. They said his was covered in blood and ink. The creep was from Houston and was staying the weekend down here on the island with his family. They had rented the beach house next door.

Re: Home invasion [Re: passthru] #6277477 04/27/16 04:25 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Passthru is spot on. Until these thugs are permanently removed from the gene pool, things will not change. Stay alert and vigiliant. Always be aware of your surroundings.

I have the utmost respect for LEO's, but they cannot be everywhere. Our home is monitored 24/7 and we have a dog. Also know full well, that will not deter someone hell bent and bound to bust in.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277774 04/27/16 07:36 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
You should have a plan in place. If you can even use a phone, a nice town in dfw is going to take 4-7 minutes to get a response. Most do not have that luxury but even then it is way to late if they want to hurt you.

Also I have been around some events where the good guy got multiple shots off at the burglar for exactly 0 hits.
Make sure when you practice , you have some stress on you and your heart rate is up. Real life, not slowly shooting at still paper at the range. Try to practice under a stop watch or shot timer.
Real talk

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277801 04/27/16 08:01 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
As BIL states...have a PLAN in place for answering the door each and every time. Build your security in layers...

Front Door: Install a secondary, high quality "storm door" that opens outward. If you open the interior door they cannot "rush" in.

Answer the door with gun in hand. (This is just the world we live in)! I had the day off yesterday and there was a knock at the door. Prior to answering, 1911 was in hand with safety off, but hidden from plain view. Not a perfect scenario but at least I would have a chance!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide