Forums46
Topics537,009
Posts9,719,403
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message #6273413 04/24/16 06:50 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
If anybody knows someone directly in Speer Bullets please forward this thread to their attention - hopefully they have the time to read and respond.

A few years ago Speer Bullets introduced the Deep Curl - http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/rifle/hunting/deepcurl.aspx

A couple of years ago after a seemingly short life cycle, Speer discontinued the Deep Curl - No link to provide because I'm not sure the company ever made an official statement, google is full of customers asking "Did Speer discontinue the Deep Curl ???"

If you've never hunted with the Deep Curl bullet you may read the below and think very little about the matter

If you've hunted with the Deep Curl I ask, I implore, I beg you to speak up on this thread with your experiences

Note: This thread is specific to hunting applications, not target shooting, no plinking, no Internet "research shooting"...

I have hunted the 6mm (80 grain) and 30 cal (165 grain) bullets on Texas feral hogs over the last few years.

There is no other AFFORDABLE bullet that scores quick and lethal kill shots like the Deep Curl - period end of story, I'd bet the literal farm on what I've witnessed and experienced.

I don't want to speculate as to why the bullet was discontinued - I'd prefer the straight dish on the topic from the company and not just who answers the phones and renders an opinion but rather somebody who is in the know.

I am not expecting anything - I am not entitled to receive a reply - but I am hopeful that enough people will echo my findings and that it will present Speer Bullets with an opportunity to share what happened but more importantly will bring it back into production!

Knowing this thread isn't going to take off like wild fire, face it we are all busy and have more important matters to handle - so I will over time share data and experiences back into the thread.

ALERT: If I were reading this and have never hunted with the bullet I would look hard on websites for bullet pulls, blems, factory seconds, whatever is left of these and I would buy them ALL. No kidding rifle No bull texas

At the time of production you could buy 100 of these for 23 - 26 dollars - there are bullets at more of a cost that will perform as good as the Deep Curl, no doubt and no argument here. There are no cheaper bullets that come close, not on Earth.

Okay lets see where this goes -

User experience:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a typical occurrence with the Speer Deep Curl

The bottom sow pig (100 - 200 lb pig) was taken at 50 yards, held on the front shoulder and squeezed - she moved a bit as I fired so the bullet struck her in the ear - instant death

The middle sow (100 - 200 lb pig) was taken at 190 yards, held on the front shoulder - down she went at the spot - kicking and expired within a couple of minutes - no tracking

The top boar (200 - 250 lb pig) was taken at 125 yards, he was alerted to me due to the above shot taken on the sow - he was walking away from me and presented a quartering away opportunity - held behind front shoulder - instant death

I'll dig back for photos and video of other hogs taken but I will tell you that at this point I don't bother aiming anywhere else other than the front shoulder, typically on medium to large hogs it breaks one or both shoulder and results in either instant death or no tracking which is exactly how an affordable bullet should work!

Video of the sow kill:

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 04/24/16 11:48 PM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6274616 04/25/16 05:50 PM
A
APynckel Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I've used the .452 250gr Deep Curls in .45 Colt. I will agree that these bullets are insane in their expansion and lethality. I had been trying to find some more for some time, never knew they were completely discontinued. Mega bummer.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6275688 04/26/16 03:13 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I don't know if they've discontinued the pistol bullets, but the rifle bullets were discontinued in January 2014. OP didn't want speculation but from what I can find it appears the plated bullets may have lead to pressure issues.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6277839 04/27/16 08:29 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I just found a source for bullet pulls - I placed an order for their remaining stock of .277 (270 Win) bullets.

At 16.00 for 100 bullets it equals the best value on the planet.

I believe they have .243 (90 grain) and .257 (120 gr) left, neither I can afford at this point being I bought 2000 of the .277

I will update this thread in the coming days with more .30 cal Deep Curl carnage.

By the way zero issues with pressure using these bullets - I use conventional load data regardless of the warning in the retail bullet boxes - that was a hindrance for many that was really a lot to do about nothing.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6281404 04/30/16 05:54 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Just because you have has zero issues, doesn't mean there aren't any issues.

What type of instrumentation do you have to actually measure the pressure?

If you have none, which I suspect, you have zero data upon which to reach your conclusion that its'"a lot to do about nothing".

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6281439 04/30/16 06:32 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I've got 10 fingers and 10 toes, that's my instrumentation.

If you load your rounds HOT then use all the gadgets you want - if you keep your loads reasonable then as i stated you've got nothing to worry about.

I suspect the majority of average Joe reloading doesn't require use of instrumentation and I maintain that results in the field speak for themselves.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6281821 05/01/16 02:07 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Sorry, but the engineers that designed, built, and pressure tested the bullets with sophisticated equipment, have better data, and more credibility.

"I still got all my fingers", and ol' Betsy ain't blowed up yet, don't instill a lot of confidence.

Last edited by JJH; 05/01/16 02:09 AM.
Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6281835 05/01/16 02:20 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Whatever - buy 'em and test 'em yourself if you want data or provide a link with a verified issue.

This is exactly why i don't speculate nor shoot via Internet research alone

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 05/01/16 02:21 AM.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6281871 05/01/16 02:48 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
You are speculating. And concluding that " if the gun didn't blow up, the pressure must be ok".

I have a lot of of Deep Curls...257, 270, and 30 cal. I like their accuracy and their terminal performance. And I'm not implying that they can't be used safely. I'm just saying that you should heed the manufacturer's advice and only use data developed for the DCs

Too conclude that there is no issue is foolish. A maybe dangerous.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6281887 05/01/16 03:01 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Here is a 226 lb hog that was taken at 135 yards with a shot through the front shoulder , it snapped the bone destroyed the shield and continued through and was recovered ahead of the offside shoulder.

Instant death and no tracking

The bullet weighed 99 grains when recovered shedding just over 60 grains of weight

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6287001 05/04/16 08:42 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
This 150 lb sow (middle pig) was feeding about 135 yards out and took a Deep Curl in the shoulder - snapped both her shoulders - Instant Death and no tracking!

The recovered bullet was a perfect 5 petal mushroom recovered on the offside hide.

My order arrived this week on the .277 cal Deep Curls (150 grain) - now to find a respectable auto loading gun in either 270 Win or 270 WSM ......

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6288151 05/05/16 03:59 PM
B
bside Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
now to find a respectable auto loading gun in either 270 Win or 270 WSM ......

Re-barrel a Garand peep

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6288989 05/06/16 02:31 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Got a Noreen BN36 in 270 Winchester on the way

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6291189 05/08/16 12:33 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have some deep curls in 257, 7mm & 338. I've only killed one deer with a 115 grain factory Fusion from a 6.8 SPC and it was an instant kill without a CNS shot. Basic heart/lung dropped him as fast as a CNS. I know the DeepCurl has a dimpled heel vs a boat tail but other than that they are the same.

I've heard rumors about pressure spikes but that was from people contacting Speer for load data. Speer seemed very concerned about their bullets. I've also heard rumors Speer is working on a new bullet design. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Before the Deep Curl there was the Deep Shock that a lot of people loved but were quickly discontinued. Speer has track record of introducing and quickly discontinuing bullet lines.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6291240 05/08/16 01:46 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I don't have any experience with the fusions but that is a recurring thought that they're the same bullet with a different design.

It'd be nice if ATk (Speer) would come here to give a bit of insight on the two bullets.

I like the flat base deep curl design as it gives me more room for powder with AR15 seating depths.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6296777 05/12/16 09:29 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

By the way zero issues with pressure using these bullets - I use conventional load data regardless of the warning in the retail bullet boxes - that was a hindrance for many that was really a lot to do about nothing.

If you really believe that, you're living in a dream world, and a very dangerous one. Here is an email I received from Speer when I asked if a very LIGHT load in my 300 Savage (2100fps) with the 165gr Deep Curl would be enough velocity to provide for acceptable expansion on whitetails:

"You are loading a bullet that there is no tested load data for the 300 Savage. These bullets have very specific load parameters. Using incorrect data for this bullet is very unadvisable. By not using the correct load data for this bullet you run the risk of exceeding pressures. This bullet was NEVER tested in the 300 Savage and the data you are using is NOT to be used. Again, we can't emphasize this enough. There is no data for this bullet in the 300 Savage. The Deep Curl bullet line is a completely different manner of making a bullet than anything else. The bullet does not use load data from corresponding/like bullet weights. Doing so is extremely unsafe.
Thanks,
Shoot Straight"

Again: I like the Deep Curls as much as you do. I have found them to be very accurate and their terminal performance has been flawless. I as very disappointed when they were discontinued.

But if you think that Speer dropped the Deep Curl line arbitrarily and that requests from customers will convince them to bring them back, you are indeed naive. Companies don't invest enormous capital to bringing a new product to the market and then immediately discontinue it without good reason.

I intend to continue using my supply of Deep Curls, but not without exercising a great deal of caution, watching for pressure signs, watching for velocity anomalies, and sticking with Speer's publish data FOR THAT BULLET. 50-70K psi within inches of your brain is not to be taken lightly.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6297174 05/13/16 03:04 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
They can bring the Deep Curl process back in a new design that reduces the pressure concerns.

That would work for me and it wouldn't give you anything to spin in circles about

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6297235 05/13/16 04:46 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
You really live in fantasy land

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6297346 05/13/16 12:30 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I would try some accubonds or prohunters, good bullets too.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: JJH] #6297385 05/13/16 01:05 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: JJH

Now that we understand eachother...

Do you have ANYTHING productive to share in terms of results with your stock of deep curls? Photos, stories, etc?

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: redchevy] #6297389 05/13/16 01:07 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I would try some accubonds or prohunters, good bullets too.

Hi RC, the price of the Accubonds steers me away the prohunters are decent quality I'm running 125gr in a smaller 30 cal right now.

Too bad the factory is way up North, I hear you can buy bulk bullets from Sierra just driving up and walking in at a pretty good cost, and that right there is another one of my fantasies!!!

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6297647 05/13/16 03:57 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Do you have ANYTHING productive to share in terms of results with your stock of deep curls? Photos, stories, etc?

What would be PRODUCTIVE would be for you to learn a little about capitalism.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: JJH] #6298388 05/14/16 02:08 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

What would be PRODUCTIVE would be for you to learn a little about capitalism.

I respectfully disagree and ask that until you can provide value added input that you not post on this thread.

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6298444 05/14/16 02:59 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Son, this is a public forum. Unless and until I receive a request from a moderator, I will post when and where I chose.

Second, as long as you post ignorant, incorrect, and dangerous comments, which could get novice reloaders into serious trouble, I will continue to respond, and correct.

You, son, are free to do as you chose, and I appreciate your youthful exuberance. But when you post stupid/dangerous ideas on a public forum, you will rightfully elicit responses...

BTW, this IS value added input...

Re: Attention - Please ask that Speer Bullets read this message [Re: Pig_Popper] #6299350 05/15/16 08:42 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I gave the .308 cal Deep Curls the weekend off -

Took the 6x45mm AR with me for daytime spot and stalk hunting at West Kerr Ranch.

The 80gr Deep Curl was up for the task as a small 50 lb spotted sow absorbed the bullet from 30 yards away, no tracking required - instant death !

Then I found a 120 lb boar who was running white tail bucks off a feeder area, I thought he should be more kind and decided that a headshot would set him on the straight and narrow , 100 yards DRT.

Not too shabby for a .16 cent bullet...

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 05/15/16 08:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide