Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Gonna have to try this...... #6235896 03/25/16 01:50 AM
skinnerback Online Content OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
with venison back strap or pork loin...I've made rolls before but not like this with the gravy and all. I love mustard, onions, bacon & pickles but not sure I could get my 5 yr old son to eat it. That boy can spot an onion or pickle a mile away and he hates mustard. Anyway, maybe something to play around with......

What do you think?

Re: Gonna have to try this...... [Re: skinnerback] #6235945 03/25/16 02:27 AM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Rouladen is amazing. My moms parents emigrated from Germany so I grew up eating a ton of classic German food and this was a a favorite. My mom still makes it all the time when I visit. There is also an awesome German restaurant up here where I live and they have a pretty good Rouladen dish. In my opinion, you have to serve Rouladen with spaetzle, a german egg noodle. The dumplings are good too but I think spaetzle is even better. I've only ever had it with beef, but I'm sure it would be fine with venison as long as it doesn't get too dry. And that chef definitely knows what he is talking about when he is plating it. I've literally never eaten Rouladen without Rotkohl (red cabbage).

Man, I think I'm gonna have to make this myself next week. Thanks for posting!

Re: Gonna have to try this...... [Re: MacDaddy21] #6236032 03/25/16 03:45 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Rouladen is amazing. My moms parents emigrated from Germany so I grew up eating a ton of classic German food and this was a a favorite. My mom still makes it all the time when I visit. There is also an awesome German restaurant up here where I live and they have a pretty good Rouladen dish. In my opinion, you have to serve Rouladen with spaetzle, a german egg noodle. The dumplings are good too but I think spaetzle is even better. I've only ever had it with beef, but I'm sure it would be fine with venison as long as it doesn't get too dry. And that chef definitely knows what he is talking about when he is plating it. I've literally never eaten Rouladen without Rotkohl (red cabbage).

Man, I think I'm gonna have to make this myself next week. Thanks for posting!

My last name is German but I don't know a whole lot about German food. I love the HECK out of sauerkraut though. roflmao My German ancestors were here way before I was born so I never had the privilege/opportunity to actually learn from a German Gramma or Grandpa. Awesome up I worked in Israel for a while and they crammed schnitzel in our face ALL the time. No seasoning, no real flavor, it pretty much sucked and reminded me of my ex mother in law's fried catfish. Meat/flour/oil, was extremely bland and I didn't want to eat it.

Re: Gonna have to try this...... [Re: skinnerback] #6236072 03/25/16 04:40 AM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Man, I'll have to hook you up with a stew recipe if you are interested. Its a polish stew called Bigos, which means "Hunters Stew". It has sauerkraut, cabbage, bacon, venison, pork, beef, kielbasa sausage, onion, and some other things. It is best after it cooks for several days. I usually let mine simmer for 5-7 days before eating any. It is awesome stuff. Rich and hearty and the broth is ridiculously good. My grandparents basically grew up on this stuff.

The schnitzel at the German restaurant here is pretty good. It has a hunters sauce on it, really meaty and rich. It definitely adds most of the flavor. The fried pork cutlet doesn't have much flavor by itself. They have some pretty good meals though, and the beers are phenomenal.

We found a German bakery close to our house and it is one of our favorite places now. They have all kinds of imported German deli meats and cheeses, and some insanely good mustard. There is a Bavarian sweet mustard that is addicting, and it is so good with some leberwurst on a pretzel roll!

Re: Gonna have to try this...... [Re: MacDaddy21] #6236085 03/25/16 06:14 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Man, I'll have to hook you up with a stew recipe if you are interested. Its a polish stew called Bigos, which means "Hunters Stew". It has sauerkraut, cabbage, bacon, venison, pork, beef, kielbasa sausage, onion, and some other things. It is best after it cooks for several days. I usually let mine simmer for 5-7 days before eating any. It is awesome stuff. Rich and hearty and the broth is ridiculously good. My grandparents basically grew up on this stuff.

The schnitzel at the German restaurant here is pretty good. It has a hunters sauce on it, really meaty and rich. It definitely adds most of the flavor. The fried pork cutlet doesn't have much flavor by itself. They have some pretty good meals though, and the beers are phenomenal.

We found a German bakery close to our house and it is one of our favorite places now. They have all kinds of imported German deli meats and cheeses, and some insanely good mustard. There is a Bavarian sweet mustard that is addicting, and it is so good with some leberwurst on a pretzel roll!

Man, if you could hook me up with that stew recipe that would be awesome. I will make it! clap

Simmering for 5-7 days sounds crazy, but I'd do it!

Re: Gonna have to try this...... [Re: skinnerback] #6241969 03/30/16 09:16 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I had german grandparents and great grandparents on both sides and the only german recipes to get passed on were a sausage recipe and a potato salad recipe. The potato salad is good, the sausage is ok but is nothing exciting and kind of bland.

I too love me some sourkraut!

It's hell eatin em live
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide