Print Thread
Do you have a "Go To" Call? #6193304 02/21/16 08:26 PM
K
KeithTT Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Mods: Please do not delete. I am not selling anything. This is a reply and tip to those who have been asking me what calls I use!

Do you have one call that does it all? I mean, I have always wanted that one call that plays wet or dry, plays every sound of the wild turkey hen, and has a variable volume range that can communicate with a bird from 5yds-500yds.

Keith here (your main man, turkey guide from Band of Brothers Outfitters) with a big TIP!
Most know that our living as a hunting guide strongly depends on our animal population, ability/knowledge, scouting and most importantly OUR GEAR!!!! You can have the first three on that list, but without the proper gear, hunting can be tough. Now some would say they have called in a turkey with a fog horn but I would say did they do it every day? Our job depends on calling turkeys into gun range almost every day of the spring turkey season. We have to have a call that will perform every time we strike it. Wet, humid, dew on the grass you name it a lot of things can mess a call up, so it is important to have your go to call waterproof. Your go to call must also be extremely versatile with sounds. Aside from making every sound with the call it needs to be loud for far away birds and soft for close birds.
Now let me bust a few of the thoughts running through your head. You say “well I have a wetbox-box call that plays wet” I say “does it adjust well from loud to soft, and does it make all the sounds such as nice soft coaxing purrs”?. Now lets go to the other favorite, you say “I use a mouth call, it plays in any weather cause its in my mouth”. Well we all know the mouth call is tough to get loud on and the ones that get loud don’t sound the best when played soft (this especially applies to reaching loud enough volumes for Texas Rios). I know in these Texas winds to locate a bird sometimes you have got to put out some serious sound just so the birds can hear it, then you have to go from louder to quieter as the bird approaches your setup.
We have been in touch with a great call maker and long time turkey hunter (Kevin Farr) since before Nashville and the NWTF convention 2016. After meeting with Kevin in Nashville we are very excited to add Pecker Wrecker Turkey Calls to our turkey vests this spring. I visited almost all 600 vendors and call makers in Nashville this past weekend and really tuned my ear into what a Texas turkey responds/comes running to. You know you have to have volume because the winds can be high and you know you have to tone it down in the timber holes and under the 100yd range when that bird is closing in. It's tough changing from the loud box, to the quiet coaxing slate and it adds unwanted movement that can bust up a hunt quick. Not to mention there has been numerous times that a bird will be coming to the box call and when you change to “the closer” he doesn't like it , changes his mind and boom he's outta there. This will be my 25th turkey season and 17th as a professional guide and I have been wanting a "go to call that has it all." Pecker Wrecker's glass pot calls have absolutely got it all. The best yelps loud or soft, clucks, putts, purrs, kee kee runs! Kevin has just released the “Water Wrecker” striker that works on all of his calls. It will still make all the great sounds of his calls in a hurricane. They have a line of extremely versatile mouth calls that will keep you hands free when that bird is closing down the barrel. They even have a clothing line that lets everyone else know you're a “Pecker Wrecker”.
If you want to try one for yourself just give me a buzz and you can test one yourself here in West Fort Worth. All Calls are handmade and tested by Kevin Farr himself and it shows in the quality.
If you are serious about turning your time into success this spring, I would highly recommend you check out these calls.

So to Answer the question that I get asked quite often what call will I be using. It's the glass pot call with wood striker on dry days, and the glass pot with the "Water Wrecker" when ole' mother nature decides to try and keep us indoors!
www.peckerwreckercalls.com

Make sure all of your birds this season get pecker wrecked!
Be on the lookout for our success stories, photos, and videos this spring.

Check out this you tube video below!
https://youtu.be/s8vNGqo0GT4

Guide's Life
Elusive Wildlife Technologies
Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6193571 02/22/16 12:34 AM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yeah Buck Crack came was coming to our members mind in that last thread, when you were showing a price and it appeared you were petting it, but you weren't trying to sell, sorry.

Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: dgilbert] #6193915 02/22/16 05:22 AM
K
KeithTT Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Yeah. To the best of my knowledge Mr. Farr has no plan of changing his formula for Turkey call making (as the buck crack fella did). Like I said I put my hands on every call in naahville and I paid full show price for my calls. Never seen anything like em, especially that water wrecker striker on glass. It may have sounded like I was selling them because it said order through me or Kevin but to answer the question no I am not making a dime but I would pass the word to him that someone wants one. Don't care to either I just like to help others when I find stuff that works. Buck crack worked like a champ till that guy changed mills for production now I'm hooked on dobbins delights Apple and oat horse feed for my early season draw (nope don't work for dobbins or push the stuff). Last year I would have put the hs ring zone up against all others. Killed a ton of birds with it but these sounds seem to be untouchable. Trying to get the video loaded to YouTube so I can put them on here. It's awesome.

Guide's Life
Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6194146 02/22/16 02:24 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I found it doesn't matter what call you use turkeys respond it. Turkeys are the easiest critter to call in if they are there. I use some cheap calls that it can't even tell you the name of them, I think I bought them at Walmart after season for a couple of bucks. Turkey calls are so over rated like grunt calls.

Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6194440 02/22/16 05:18 PM
K
KeithTT Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
You must have ALOT of unhunted birds? This will be my 26th season turkey hunting and 17th as a professional guide. I can't tell you how many times I have called at birds with everything in my vest and there was only one call that they seemed to want to hear. Especially on Public land. Those birds hear every yahoo with a turkey call out there. If you ain't sounding exactly like a hen then good luck. Now we are talking about Rio's and yes South Texas birds are fairly easy to call in but these north texas birds see a lot more hunting pressure and can be quite a challenge. Now if you want the real challenge head to east texas and chase an old smart eastern. You will have a way tougher time calling him in with that on sale wal-mart call. Not saying it hasn't or can't be done I would just about bet it wouldn't happen as often as a call that sounds just like a hen turkey.

I would also have to HIGHLY disagree when it comes to grunt calls. There are some good grunt calls and some not so good. The best I have found is the Primos buck roar. It sounds good soft and it can also get very loud and crank a deer out hundreds of yards away. Now I have used other grunt calls that flat line if you try to crank on em to stop a deer at 200yards.

Last edited by KeithTT; 02/22/16 05:21 PM.

Guide's Life
Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6194490 02/22/16 05:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Best call I have found is the sound of a corn feeder going off.....rifle

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: stxranchman] #6194525 02/22/16 06:09 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Best call I have found is the sound of a corn feeder going off.....rifle

That's no joke just keep roads corned and my 6 yo granddaughter could get one. Kinda like javelina hunting, lol not saying that the guides do that before a hunt though, it's all about calling them in.

Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6194625 02/22/16 07:20 PM
K
KeithTT Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Just found this in the outdoor book.

Baiting

Baiting for game animals, nongame animals, and game birds is lawful on private property, except for turkey in certain East Texas counties and migratory game birds statewide. See county listings.

Look's like you better have a good call and know how to use it around east texas.
In fact Texas is about one of the only states I know of where you can use the yellow call.

Guide's Life
Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6194700 02/22/16 08:25 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I was using a cheap Academy box call this last weekend, and had them running all around the camp house trying to find that hen. Can't wait for March to get here! Got a plethora of turkey near Goliad.

Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6194758 02/22/16 09:29 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I've found Texas and Oklahoma Rios for the most part to be the easiest to hunt turkeys in the nation. They tend to come to anything that even closely resembles the yelps and cuts of a hen. Some of the Merriams in Nebraska and South Dakota are about the same, although I've had some tough days, mostly due to weather conditions.

Easterns and the Osceolas are a different breed altogether.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: Gamblinman] #6194849 02/22/16 11:18 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I've found Texas and Oklahoma Rios for the most part to be the easiest to hunt turkeys in the nation. They tend to come to anything that even closely resembles the yelps and cuts of a hen.

Yep some just wants you to think you have to have some special talent and calls to call birds, I will a sure you if I can do it anybody can do it. You just have to have the birds to get one.

Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: dgilbert] #6195324 02/23/16 06:05 AM
K
KeithTT Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
I would again completely disagree. We have tons of birds and there is way way more to it than scratch a call and here they come. I don't harvest 20-30 birds a year on dumb luck and easy to kill birds. It takes alot of knowledge, scouting, and what Calls to use at the right time.

Guide's Life
Re: Do you have a "Go To" Call? [Re: KeithTT] #6195813 02/23/16 05:11 PM
O
OffCoor1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
This^^^^^^ Great post, Keith.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread