Print Thread
colorado trip this weekend #6175023 02/09/16 12:00 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Went to pagosa springs to ski at wolf creek, flew into Durango-la plata airport and drove to pagosa springs. Wildlife was over the top. Saw elk and mulies on ever car ride, saw some coyotes as well.

On the 55 mile drive back to Durango this am, we saw 34 elk/mule deer on the mountains right by the road. I am sure there were dozens we missed as my son was looking through a frosty-fogged window and I had to drive so I wasn't looking much at all.

Makes me want to go hunt there. Def a game rich environment up

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6175039 02/09/16 12:10 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Before winter they are a lot higher and a lot harder to find. Is funny how many there actually are after they move out of the high country.

I grew up skiing wolf creek. Miss that place dearly. Sounds like great family time.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6175120 02/09/16 01:05 AM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have a cabin in Pagosa Springs that I spend the summer in. That part of Colorado is crawling with wildlife. 3 years ago at 5am I was taking my daughter to the Durango airport and hit an Elk. We we very lucky as I had slowed down to about 20mph because I thought I saw something in the road. Turns out it was a dog and when I put my foot on the gas petal.....bam and $3,000 in damage but no one hurt at all.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6175299 02/09/16 03:12 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Before winter they are a lot higher and a lot harder to find. Is funny how many there actually are after they move out of the high country.

I grew up skiing wolf creek. Miss that place dearly. Sounds like great family time.

Some days you'd think there is maybe 5 elk and 2 deer in the whole state, then you see 2-300 in a field, go figure.

You get banned from Wolf Creek BOBO roflmao I bet they would welcome your wallet back up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Western] #6175344 02/09/16 03:42 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western

Some days you'd think there is maybe 5 elk and 2 deer in the whole state, then you see 2-300 in a field, go figure.

You get banned from Wolf Creek BOBO roflmao I bet they would welcome your wallet back up

I haven't been back since my dad sold the cabin. Been probably +-5 years I think. I'm going by the old place this year probably depending on my NM and AZ draw

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Western] #6175405 02/09/16 04:24 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

One thing was obvious on this trip to Wolf Creek, they didn't allow uppity metroplex types on the slopes...maybe that's why BOBO was banned from there?? roflmao

In all seriousness, it was a great weekend for skiing, high temps right around 30, pure sun and no wind, hard to beat that. And waits on the lifts were rarely longer than 30 seconds the whole weekend! Awesome. It definitely had a regular joe kind of feel, quite unlike Breck where we went last year same weekend, much more of the "look at me" skiers flaunting their perfectly matched outfits as much as their ability to sit outside the lodge and take up space when you are trying to take a lunch break.

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6175690 02/09/16 03:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Lol, uppity metro... Ouch. Been called a lot of things but that's a first.

Wolf creek is a great ski area, not to big not to small. Also gets historically most snow in CO.

When my daughter gets old enough to ski, it's where I'll take her for her first trip.

Y'all stay in pagosa or south fork?

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6175753 02/09/16 03:41 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
There is so much more to do in Pagosa Springs with all the restaurants, and the hot springs. Plus the ever useful Walmart for items that were accidently left back at home.

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6175844 02/09/16 04:20 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
PS, used to be a real nice "sleepy" town 30 years ago, sure has grown..One of my uncles lived in a nice log home on the golf course, was great to drive down from Montrose and visit...

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6176006 02/09/16 05:44 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Lol, uppity metro... Ouch. Been called a lot of things but that's a first.

Wolf creek is a great ski area, not to big not to small. Also gets historically most snow in CO.

When my daughter gets old enough to ski, it's where I'll take her for her first trip.

Y'all stay in pagosa or south fork?

Oh, you know I am just teasing you...you have given me way too many opinions I have acted on over the years I have been on here, my wife isn't too pleased, but I am up

We stayed in Pagosa. It was a nice little town, friends family has a house/cabin on the golf course not too far away from Mr. T's (looked it up and they are nearly right around the corner from each other). First time there, but probably not the last. We did hit the wally world for groceries, and then hit some of the restaurants too.

BOBO, they have kids on the mountain as soon as they are able to walk these days, so your daughter is never too young...

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6176012 02/09/16 05:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I know you where kidding smile

Well makes you feel any better I just texted wife. " 2017 family ski trip... We are going to wolf creek"

You just cost me money now lol

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Western] #6176019 02/09/16 05:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
PS, used to be a real nice "sleepy" town 30 years ago, sure has grown..One of my uncles lived in a nice log home on the golf course, was great to drive down from Montrose and visit...

I remeber when there wasn't a Walmart and just super sized hardware store. The even fixed small engines in house. Remember going in with my grand father because I broke the lawn mower

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6176049 02/09/16 06:06 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
BoBo, if you serious about going in 2017 now is the time to start looking for a place to stay. The town fills up fairly quickly for ski season. I rent out my home to skiers in the winter and stay there in the summer. I just got a check for payment in full for a week between Christmas through New-years of 2018.....that's 2018 season. Most good places book spring break at least a year in advance. Just saying.....

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Mr. T.] #6176074 02/09/16 06:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
BoBo, if you serious about going in 2017 now is the time to start looking for a place to stay. The town fills up fairly quickly for ski season. I rent out my home to skiers in the winter and stay there in the summer. I just got a check for payment in full for a week between Christmas through New-years of 2018.....that's 2018 season. Most good places book spring break at least a year in advance. Just saying.....

Ya I know. I'll put wife in charge of it.

I'll pass along your info also

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6176126 02/09/16 06:46 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Beautiful country up there. That drive up 84 out of Santa Fe is amazing. Would love to get drawn up there some time!

Re: colorado trip this weekend [Re: Texas buckeye] #6176889 02/10/16 02:46 AM
B
Buddy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Sure is beautiful in that area - been in the fall a few times and really enjoy the town and scenery.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide