Print Thread
Swore I'd Never do this #6134405 01/14/16 12:32 AM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Let me preface this with, I have always looked down on folks who did this, so losing respect from some of you is what I am expecting and I am gonna accept that.
Last year, December 2014, right after graduation my parents bought me a GSP. I had been wanting one, it was a lonely time of life job hunting, I was in a house with a huge yard and at the time it was a great idea. I landed a job in Austin, and frankly its so dang expensive. Financially I can only afford an apartment, and Amos has suffered. We have made it since May of 2015, until now living in a 600 square foot apartment. We ride our bike twice a day, 5 miles each time and I come home at lunch and let him out. It keeps him at bay slightly. But yet, I know it is not enough. When I get home it just breaks my heart. When I see him playing in friends yards and just being happy go lucky I know I am doing him wrong. After much much prayer and with a very heavy heart I need to look into re-homing him. He is a great dog, never met a stranger. Comes from J & K Kennels outta Azle, Texas. Has papers that will come with him. He is neutered. Is great with other dogs, and children. He is woah broke, house trained, kennel trained, has been on pen raised birds, retrieves decently and minds well. In no way is he a finished dog, but he is definitely on a great path.
My stipulation is this-he WILL NOT go somewhere that puts him in a kennel in the back yard only pulls him out to hunt him. I love this dog dearly, and that is why we are doing what we are.
If you want some additional info please feel free to call me. I am located in Austin.
I dont want a dime for him, just a great home that will love him for the special dog he is. Please give me a shout if you are interested at all, or know someone who might be.
Andrew - 817-487-7232

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6134418 01/14/16 12:41 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You brought a tear to my eye. Someone should jump n him.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: bill oxner] #6134422 01/14/16 12:42 AM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
You brought a tear to my eye. Someone should jump n him.

It breaks my heart Bill, it really does

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6134429 01/14/16 12:46 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Post it on the upland forum also.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6134442 01/14/16 12:51 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Hope you find a good home for him. Post a picture each place you post the search.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6134898 01/14/16 06:04 AM
G
GimmeABuck Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I for one think you're doing right if you know it's what is best for HIM. The right thing to do isn't really ever the easy thing to do. You sound diligent in your search for the best home possible for him (not like you're just dumping him at the pound or free on Craigslist) and I for one, applaud your decision to let go of the desire to keep him and get him what he needs.

Best of luck finding Amos a new home.

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6134980 01/14/16 12:49 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Have you considered getting some roommates and renting a house? Three or four guys can rent a nice house cheaper per person than what one can rent an apartment. My buddies and I did it for yeas in San Angelo until we all got married. We all had bird dogs and hunted every chance we could. I'd do that before I Gave away a dog I had time and money in.

Just a thought.

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6134987 01/14/16 12:59 PM
B
Budgeteer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Much respect for taking care of your dog. Good luck.

"Hee cannot be a gentleman whych loveth not a dogge." --Anonymous, The Institucion of a Gentleman (1555)
Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6135055 01/14/16 01:44 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Do not be down about the decision. There was a time in my life where I had to do the same thing. It is hard but both of you will feel better in the end. My prayer is that he will be in a home where he will be loved and hunted.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6135120 01/14/16 02:27 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
If yall made it this far, I don't see why yall can't make it longer. I just wouldn't want you to do something you might regret later. It sounds like you give him plenty of exercise and you probably won't live in an apartment for
ever. I lived with two hunting dogs in an apartment up until about a month ago. They enjoyed meeting other people and dogs more than anything.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6135154 01/14/16 02:49 PM
B
BAS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I'm with MS1454. I lived in an apt for 2 years with an English Pointer. Your pup's energy level will not always be at the level it is now. You could also look up a dog walker on dogvacay.com for that lunchtime walk or trip out of town. You could probably find a pet sitter in your complex. One of the leasing agents watched mine when I travelled. There's also plenty of professional trainers that offer boarding where dogs are well kept and get off season conditioning in. I'll bet you will be in a different living situation in a year or two and will still have many years left with Amos.

I think my dog Fran misses all the attention she received in the complex!

Hang in there. It's not too late to give it more time.

Last edited by BAS; 01/14/16 02:55 PM.
Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6135159 01/14/16 02:52 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Man, if I was a bird hunter, I'd bring Amos into my pack today.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6135312 01/14/16 04:07 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
One thing your might think about... Even dogs that have free range in the back yard, spend 90% of the day laying around in one spot. It sounds like you give him plenty of activity, although it's a hassle to you now or you'd have behavior issues. Only you know what he needs. Good luck.

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: DoubleB20] #6135382 01/14/16 04:38 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: MS1454
If yall made it this far, I don't see why yall can't make it longer. I just wouldn't want you to do something you might regret later. It sounds like you give him plenty of exercise and you probably won't live in an apartment for
ever. I lived with two hunting dogs in an apartment up until about a month ago. They enjoyed meeting other people and dogs more than anything.

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
One thing your might think about... Even dogs that have free range in the back yard, spend 90% of the day laying around in one spot. It sounds like you give him plenty of activity, although it's a hassle to you now or you'd have behavior issues. Only you know what he needs. Good luck.

I agree, sounds like he is getting plenty of love and exercise to me.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6135543 01/14/16 06:05 PM
E
epp838 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
My buddy sent you a message

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6135870 01/14/16 09:31 PM
M
mbole Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Seems like he's getting more than enough exercise and has a better life than 99% of dogs out there.

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6135917 01/14/16 10:01 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted By: MS1454

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20

I agree, sounds like he is getting plenty of love and exercise to me.

I agree with all of this as well. And unless one is very wealthy or a profession dog trainer, there is really only one time in a persons life that they can spend as much time with their dog as they want and that's when people retire and the kids are on their own, and if you're lucky, a few years in college. You think you're busy now...wait till you have a couple kids and they have stuff to do too.

If you love the dog, keep it. There is never going to be "a good time" to own a dog. You're committed to the dog or else you wouldn't be getting him exercise, playing, etc. even looking for him a home. Unless you don't want the dog anymore, keep it. I think you're going to be hard pressed to find someone to give him half the attention you're giving him now, cuz that sounds like a lot!

We've all been there. Dogs have to take a back seat sometimes. Dogs are dogs, not little people dressed up in furry suits. He'll be just fine and again, I'll $1,000 that says he's getting more exercise with you that he would with 99% of the people he'd go to.

I see no reason to get rid of the dog. If it were me, I'd keep it.

Good luck with your decision.

Mud Shark

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6136830 01/15/16 02:18 PM
T
TX_Diver Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I think I'd find a new job personally.

I was in a similar situation where I had to be in an apartment for ~3 months starting a new job while we sold our house.

I ended up sending my dog to a trainer for that time.

I'm sure there are a few trainers nearby in Austin. With some looking you can probably find one nearby that can help you out. The only one I know of is TC Cline (TC Gundogs or something like that on facebook?) just north of Wharton. Probably a 2 hour drive for you?

Hope whatever you have to do works out!

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6137051 01/15/16 04:24 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Well, as it always happens God worked it all out. An older gentleman who works alongside my father lost his GSP to cancer a year ago, and has been contemplating getting another. Pop mentioned my situation to him and it all just worked out. Amos is going to better home than I can provide at the moment, will get to hunt hard and get lots of ear scratches in between. It is going to break my heart watching him go, but I look forward to seeing him here and there when I go home and visit and it'll do my heart good to know he is getting to breath fresh air all day long. I know in my heart this is whats best for the dog, I am sure we could've eeked by, but deep down I know he will have a more enjoyable life.

Thank you to all who showed interest and the support received here. I appreciate guys.

Re: Swore I'd Never do this [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6145690 01/21/16 01:06 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
good deal for the pup!

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide