Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scoring a deer?? #6119459 01/05/16 02:45 PM
K
kphilli66 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Why does a score on a deer matter, unless your looking to get your name in a record book someplace? Doesn't the fact that it met the AR's for your area, and that it was taken ethically and humanely meet all requirements for a real trophy and a memory maker? I have hunted a long time, as was taught by my pop to honor every kill, great or small for allowing you to be the one that took it and being in that time and place. I don't mean or want to ruffle feathers, but would like to understand what scoring is for?

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119482 01/05/16 02:56 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Wrong section...this is the photo section, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. Score matters to me because I like hunting the biggest most mature animals, big scores don't always mean old animals but aging is a different topic.

In a nutshell I'm not hunting just any deer when I go to the field, if I was doing that I'd smoke the first doe or little buck that showed up and be done hunting with no tags left in a week or less.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119483 01/05/16 02:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but score is kept on almost everything in life. For one thing, score can serve as a goal, such as a 4 minute mile, a six-figure job, a 10 sec qtr mile, 70 on the golf course, 4.0 semester in college, etc. It also serves as a measuring stick to compare yourself to others and as such, to generate a sense of pride.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119490 01/05/16 02:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: kphilli66
Why does a score on a deer matter, unless your looking to get your name in a record book someplace? Doesn't the fact that it met the AR's for your area, and that it was taken ethically and humanely meet all requirements for a real trophy and a memory maker? I have hunted a long time, as was taught by my pop to honor every kill, great or small for allowing you to be the one that took it and being in that time and place. I don't mean or want to ruffle feathers, but would like to understand what scoring is for?

Everyone has their own opinions. Score does not matter to me as far as making up my decision to shoot one but I do like to know what one scores and I enjoy going through the process of thinking of the score of a live deer and then putting the tape to him later...

If you really want to get critical I was taught something similar to you but along with honoring a kill that defined itself as honoring a young deer and letting it live its life.. A trophy is what it is and people see it different than others...

I see a trophy as an old mature deer and also antlers matter too.. Im not going to call a year old four point a trophy... I also don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Navasot] #6119523 01/05/16 03:11 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

up

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Navasot] #6119527 01/05/16 03:12 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Everyone has their own opinions. Score does not matter to me as far as making up my decision to shoot one but I do like to know what one scores and I enjoy going through the process of thinking of the score of a live deer and then putting the tape to him later...

If you really want to get critical I was taught something similar to you but along with honoring a kill that defined itself as honoring a young deer and letting it live its life.. A trophy is what it is and people see it different than others...

I see a trophy as an old mature deer and also antlers matter too.. Im not going to call a year old four point a trophy... I also don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

yep...and the same could be said for any sport, sure as a kid you play basketball in the driveway with your friends because its fun, but you always kept score. my 5yo and 7yo play in the driveway everyday and yell out the score after every basket.

I think most people are naturally competitive, some more than others and some more with themselves than against others.

I also think that, within the last few years especially, that age/maturity of a buck has gained a lot of ground on score regarding it being a "trophy" or not.

Last edited by jshouse; 01/05/16 03:14 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Navasot] #6119545 01/05/16 03:18 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Well said....

I quit scoring Deer a few years back...may have a tape thrown to one every now and then for my Amigos to discuss but a Mature Deer that gets a rise out of me is my scoring system..

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119546 01/05/16 03:18 PM
A
Apretz Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Because the numbers don't lie. I think it keeps people honest on how "huge" there deer is. I do believe the term trophy is in the eye of the beholder, but generally the greater the score the greater the trophy due to the fact that the higher the score the more rare the animal is.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119557 01/05/16 03:21 PM
K
kphilli66 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
My apologies for posting in the wrong section for this, as I said, this was for me learning. I agree that you let the young bucks walk and believe that is the best practice with them, to see what they can get to be in a few years with some one that gave a rat's tail about them as the people here on the forum do. I hunt the old guys and gals, the ones that look as rough and gray as I am now days, and let some of them go because they earned the respect to live out whatever days they have left. I just didn't understand what the scoring was for. Thank you for not being to hard on me.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119564 01/05/16 03:23 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
My apologies for posting in the wrong section for this, as I said, this was for me learning. I agree that you let the young bucks walk and believe that is the best practice with them, to see what they can get to be in a few years with some one that gave a rat's tail about them as the people here on the forum do. I hunt the old guys and gals, the ones that look as rough and gray as I am now days, and let some of them go because they earned the respect to live out whatever days they have left. I just didn't understand what the scoring was for. Thank you for not being to hard on me.

welcome

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119568 01/05/16 03:24 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
It's just a comparative number, for me. A specific way to gauge one buck against another.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119578 01/05/16 03:26 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Going hunting is the memory/ experience to be gained or the game to be played. The trophy is a prize, where you set those qualifications is up to you.

I don't qualify a spike or doe as a trophy as those animals death were for only ONE purpose food for me and mine. A trophy will certainly be food in my house, but is a "game" played w/ entirely different set of rule.....

Giving thanks, respect, honoring...... to the animal and the process has noting to do w/ why you killed it

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119581 01/05/16 03:26 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

cheers welcome

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119587 01/05/16 03:28 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I don't really care what they score because I don't need to see my name on any list, but scoring is simply ranking for me. Unless they rank up their with the best I have shot, they get to walk. If they rank up their with the best, maybe they get shot. Scoring is simply a way to rank deer. Just like everything else in life, if you aren't moving forward, you aren't going anywhere.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119619 01/05/16 03:37 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

I ... would like to understand what scoring is for?

Since the beginning of time humans have looked for 'the next big thing.' Cavemen sought fire and the wheel. The ancients sought knowledge and understanding. Hunters seek a metric to quantify their trophy.

You see, the score of a deer's rack is as important as fire, the wheel, knowledge and understanding.

But seriously, antler growth is viewed by some as a byproduct of a healthy herd.
From a management perspective the higher a set of antlers scores <generally>, can offer some indication of a well managed herd. For others, it is a way to generate revenue for hunts - some outfits charge clients on a $ per inch of antler basis.

Socially among hunters, I think antler scores offer a way to compare and quantify bucks. An 8-point buck just doesn't carry as much imagery as a 163" eight point, does it?

However, worrying about score can get out of hand and could possibly diminish the enjoyment sought when the hunt turns in to a quest for inches for some hunters. Score bites both ways - it can be both a tool and a curse.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Sneaky] #6119629 01/05/16 03:40 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
It's just a comparative number, for me. A specific way to gauge one buck against another.

Agree - it provides a basis to compare and discuss deer -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119631 01/05/16 03:42 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Score is just another system to asses and measure the relative "size" of a buck. Before score, people used number of points and body weight in a similar fashion. B&C score just gets a little more specific and granular around the antlers. Age is yet another category.

Nav said it pretty well. Many different definitions of a "trophy," and several different ways that people assess one. Use what works for you.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: SniperRAB] #6119640 01/05/16 03:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Well said....

I quit scoring Deer a few years back...may have a tape thrown to one every now and then for my Amigos to discuss but a Mature Deer that gets a rise out of me is my scoring system..

x2 very well put.

We score all of the deer we shoot even the culls for our records, but the number itself means little. I honor my kills by being proud to have taken them and using the meat etc.

Last edited by redchevy; 01/05/16 03:48 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119642 01/05/16 03:48 PM
K
kphilli66 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
I'm beginning to see it as a tool or metric for how hard each person has worked to manage the land and wildlife on it, or that passes through it, like leaving it better than the way you found it.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119676 01/05/16 04:05 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I like the challenge of seeking out truly outstanding mature deer. Scoring is just part of it.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6119699 01/05/16 04:17 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
It is just another hard characteristic of the antlers that helps people understand when you are describing your buck to them. It just adds another level of adjective when telling someone about your kill. I killed an 8 point. I killed an 8 pt that was 22 inches wide. I killed an 8 pt that was 22 inches wide and it scored 145 B&C. Each one gives me a much clearer picture of the type of buck that was killed. I personally quite chasing score a long time ago. I hunt mature bucks only. Sometimes they have a lot of inches on their head and sometimes they dont.

Let'em grow old
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: rtp] #6119730 01/05/16 04:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rtp
It is just another hard characteristic of the antlers that helps people understand when you are describing your buck to them. It just adds another level of adjective when telling someone about your kill. I killed an 8 point. I killed an 8 pt that was 22 inches wide. I killed an 8 pt that was 22 inches wide and it scored 145 B&C. Each one gives me a much clearer picture of the type of buck that was killed. I personally quite chasing score a long time ago. I hunt mature bucks only. Sometimes they have a lot of inches on their head and sometimes they dont.

^^^^this

Perfect way to disscribe it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: rtp] #6120105 01/05/16 07:13 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N

Agree X2

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6120503 01/05/16 09:58 PM
K
kphilli66 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Thank you all for your replies and for teaching me something. Glad to be a small part of this forum and for your willingness to share information.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: rtp] #6120510 01/05/16 10:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
When I grew up hunting it was all about weight of the deer or number of points or how wide it was(we could not shoot does back then). It was just for bragging rights back then. Today the scoring system is a basis for seeing if your management plan is working or not for those into deer management. I have always shot what I liked, not matter what the score. What I like is tall tines and great mass, both of which will add to a great score. For those that have a problem with score I will always ask, why are you shooting bucks then? Why not shoot does if the score is meaningless or degrading to hunting?

This is a great way of putting it also up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide