Print Thread
trouble with geese decoying in the fields #5997601 10/28/15 12:47 AM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
So far here in North Dakota this year we have killed a lot of ducks and geese. Problem is there are a ton of birds in ND and we should have dropped a lot more than we already have. The issue is we have geese flying over our spread and most decide to leave before giving us a shot. If it wasn't for ND being loaded with waterfowl we would be getting our buts kicked even worse than we already are. We try to cover our blend our layout blinds in with the fields as good as we can and place our decoys as appealing as possible but it seems we are missing a key element. Any suggestions?

Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: jae011] #5997653 10/28/15 01:07 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Not on the "X"

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: jae011] #5997733 10/28/15 01:47 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Or they see something they don't like.

Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: jae011] #5997855 10/28/15 02:42 AM
T
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
How many decoys are you putting out?

Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: TTUGrad08] #5997942 10/28/15 03:07 AM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: TTUGrad08
How many decoys are you putting out?

7 dozen and we scout the night before. the field they land in is the field we set up in

Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: jae011] #5997999 10/28/15 03:37 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Where at in NoDak? Devils Lake area? The birds you're chasing are probably locals & they've been getting shot at since August. Those heavily pressured honkers get real smart. Just as smart as any big buck I've ever chased.
Option #1 So are you saying they're coming in, but not committing? Or just flying over & not even slowing down at your field? Reason I ask is, toward the end of season, they've learned that us hunters know how to pattern their feeding habits, so they start alternating fields. They become impossible to tie down. At this point, I'd rather hunt divers and wait for fresh birds to come in.
Option #2 If they're coming into the "x" that they were on last night but turning away, you're missing something that they're seeing. Someone isn't covered up good enough or has an unnatural colored camo or something. Ditch those layout blinds unless you're in a stubble corn field. They stand out like crazy. Dig yourselves some shallow pit blinds in the morning (freshly disturbed wet black dirt stands out like a sore thumb compared to the dry, grey-colored black dirt. Just make sure you fill em in & leave the field better than you found it!!) conceal yourself with whatever is in the cut field and lay a goose shell over your torsoe. Do you have a mojo going for mallards? I've found that honkers hate mojos. Maybe you're overcalling. Try completely laying off the call once you know they're looking at you. Don't EVER drive into the field with late birds. Those ruts your pickup leaves might not look noticeable to you, but it's like a flashing beacon to the birds when they look down from above.
And if all that doesn't work, enjoy some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets that this great country has to offer. I hunted North Dakota for 2 weeks every year for 10 years, then spent 2 years in living In NW NoDak and man do I miss those red, yellow & orange skies!!

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: jae011] #5998014 10/28/15 03:47 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Oh, and one other top and I'll leave you alone. I know it's tempting to chase that field with 2000 birds on it. But keep in mind, that's 4000 eyes looking down for anything that could be wrong. If I had a field on the left with 2000 & a field on the right with 500, I'll take the field on the right every time when I'm dealing with educated local birds.

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: Fishuhalik] #5998025 10/28/15 03:59 AM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Where at in NoDak? Devils Lake area? The birds you're chasing are probably locals & they've been getting shot at since August. Those heavily pressured honkers get real smart. Just as smart as any big buck I've ever chased.
Option #1 So are you saying they're coming in, but not committing? Or just flying over & not even slowing down at your field? Reason I ask is, toward the end of season, they've learned that us hunters know how to pattern their feeding habits, so they start alternating fields. They become impossible to tie down. At this point, I'd rather hunt divers and wait for fresh birds to come in.
Option #2 If they're coming into the "x" that they were on last night but turning away, you're missing something that they're seeing. Someone isn't covered up good enough or has an unnatural colored camo or something. Ditch those layout blinds unless you're in a stubble corn field. They stand out like crazy. Dig yourselves some shallow pit blinds in the morning (freshly disturbed wet black dirt stands out like a sore thumb compared to the dry, grey-colored black dirt. Just make sure you fill em in & leave the field better than you found it!!) conceal yourself with whatever is in the cut field and lay a goose shell over your torsoe. Do you have a mojo going for mallards? I've found that honkers hate mojos. Maybe you're overcalling. Try completely laying off the call once you know they're looking at you. Don't EVER drive into the field with late birds. Those ruts your pickup leaves might not look noticeable to you, but it's like a flashing beacon to the birds when they look down from above.
And if all that doesn't work, enjoy some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets that this great country has to offer. I hunted North Dakota for 2 weeks every year for 10 years, then spent 2 years in living In NW NoDak and man do I miss those red, yellow & orange skies!!

haha! they do have awesome sunrises and no mojos. we hunt the minot area. Well I think all of these factors will be implemented and will see how it helps. thanks for the advice!!

Last edited by jae011; 10/28/15 04:00 AM.
Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: Erichugh22] #5999406 10/29/15 01:31 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
should have mentioned that - yes

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: Erichugh22] #5999819 10/29/15 12:04 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

Without a doubt.

The visual acuity of waterfowl is exceptional and seriously underestimated. We've all seen birds do stupid [censored] but that's the exception, not the rule. If a bird survives long enough, birds will learn to avoid areas that they perceive as an anomaly in the terrain in the UV spectrum. That, coupled with a 360 FOV, the visual acuity of raptors, and extreme sensitivity to movement, is a show stopper.

Movement or chromatic/visual aberration in your setup or spread would easily spook birds, particularly older birds that have experienced pressure from hunters.

Re: trouble with geese decoying in the fields [Re: jae011] #5999873 10/29/15 12:51 PM
M
muddyz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I think the guys covered most of this information but here it is again along with a drone video of what a goose spread looks like.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/tagg...ed-from-a-drone

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide