SwampHunterFw Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I'm thinking of making a trip to some public land southern Kansas
I have never hunted pheasant before I hear there is good number of birds
It will be a combo hunt I have rabbit dogs an will be hunting rabbits
Would I have very much of a chance hunting them at same time as rabbits ? They stay in same kind of cover I'm guessing , my dogs won't run the birds but I would think they would flush them out maybe ?
An advise would be great

Lots of rabbits I hear ?
Quail numbers ?
Thanks

Re: First time Kansas hunt combo hunt [Re: SwampHunterFw] #5991229 10/24/15 12:04 AM
K
Kahuna Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Blasphemy! Rabbits and birds?

Re: First time Kansas hunt combo hunt [Re: SwampHunterFw] #5991233 10/24/15 12:07 AM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Haha hey it's the only way I can justify going all the way to Kansas , I know forsure I can kill a rabbit , the birds are different story since I never hunted them

Re: First time Kansas hunt combo hunt [Re: SwampHunterFw] #5991495 10/24/15 03:27 AM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
You never liked Bugs Bunny did you Elmer? roflmao

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: First time Kansas hunt combo hunt [Re: SwampHunterFw] #5991591 10/24/15 07:12 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Hit the walk in hunting areas that have creek bottoms running next to CRP, green, or cut fields and work the edges. Also any of the public reservoirs with hunting hit the edges between fields and lake bottoms. You should find both rabbits and pheasants. Lots of rabbits in Kansas and few take them. Use non tox shot too as you may jump a duck or two on those creeks.

Re: First time Kansas hunt combo hunt [Re: SwampHunterFw] #5991660 10/24/15 12:34 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This was posted by a friend on another forum.

"This year will be my tenth season going to Kansas...

Use this If you want, the best advice I could give a guy who has never been there is to plan your trip with an extra day dedicated to only scouting.

You can get damned discouraged and pissed if you think you will just look at the WIHA and other public hunting maps and just expect to find good hunting right off the bat. Many of the WIHA will be planted to winter wheat or will be wheat stubble and hold absolutely zero birds. Put in the rubber work(driving) for a full day first of all and mark the good looking spots on a GPS. And don't do like I did the first few years and mark them as Hunting spot #1, #2 etc. because will forget what place was what.....and waste even more time looking for the right one later in the week. I do this every year because fields that were milo stubble last year can be tilled, wheat, or even out of the WIHA program....and that is the voice of experience. The hard way. Believe me..if you don't scout....you are going to put in the rubber work anyway. Might as well get it over with all at once. And then if one of your spots pans out, you can hit it later in the week and not
waste time finding it again.

I have found gems by looking at the maps and not doing what you'd think would be the smart thing to do. Don't just go to the largest spots acres wise because I have found that is what most people do and they are hunted the hardest. Look for out of the way little spots...and if they have a creek bottom running through them all the better. A creek bottom will most times have weeds near them the sprayer couldn't reach.....a major plus for birds. Especially Quail.

Look for grasslands adjacent to cut milo. Phez will be in the grass except when they feed. Hunting milo for Phez is damned hard since they run like hell in it and I usually don't waste my time in them unless I'm hunting Quail.

Get away from and hunt away from the major highways and even the little cities. I hunt at a minimum of 30 miles from the hotel I stay at...and I hunt at least 4-6 counties.

Finish your hunt all the way to the edge or corner of the fields you are in....and I mean hunt the last 2' of it. Have your dogs follow the fences....and BE QUIET AS POSSIBLE!!!

I have seen blizzards, tornados, ice storms, 12 degree days with 40 MPH winds and temps in the 80's so plan for it all!!"

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: First time Kansas hunt combo hunt [Re: SwampHunterFw] #5991695 10/24/15 01:03 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Good advice. We always get there on Thurs, scout Friday and hunt opening Saturday.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: First time Kansas hunt combo hunt [Re: SwampHunterFw] #5991761 10/24/15 01:57 PM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Thanks for info guys !!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide