Print Thread
Expectations for a new lab pup and training #5841441 07/21/15 06:33 PM
S
slymer Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Hey guys. Just got my first lab pup and have a few questions on what I should expect when it comes to training him. I have been reading Waterdog.

Picked him up from the Breeder on the 11th at 10 weeks old and have been teaching him sit, stay, come, and walking on a leash. He has everything down fairly well except come. He will retrieve a bumper when he is in a playing mood but gets easily distracted out in the yard. He is a very calm puppy according to everyone that has met him.

Do ya'll have any recommendations on what I should be starting on next or pointers on how to train the basics?

Here he is the first time we had him into water. No hesitation when jumping in.

Re: Expectations for a new lab pup and training [Re: slymer] #5841680 07/21/15 10:05 PM
USscott Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Nice pup! You two will have a great time.
Water dog is out-dated in some respects but will get you two rolling along.
If you can, join a local HRC training club as you will find some great people
to share with and learn from as you two move along.
There are various training DVD's available....Bill Hillman has a few that are great
to utilize and easy to understand.
Puppies as a rule have short attention spans...use treats to teach the basics and keep
it simple and fun. It is easy to overdo it so don't make this a race. The "here" command
is something you work towards as part of a whole and the Hillman DVD's as well as his Blog
can help you immensely.
Short puppy throws in the yard...maybe 2...and put it away. Don't over-do it.
Some puppies move faster than others but in the end they all get there so be patient.
Again...utilize a club and start with the Hillman DVD's and his blog.
Have fun!

Conservation is using a well trained retriever.
Re: Expectations for a new lab pup and training [Re: slymer] #5841713 07/21/15 10:30 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
have been teaching him sit, stay, come, and walking on a leash.

I don't even worry about stay at that age.
I would get a check cord. So when you call him to you, you have a way of getting him to come to you.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Expectations for a new lab pup and training [Re: slymer] #5842673 07/22/15 02:24 PM
S
slymer Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Thanks for the info. I was looking at a HRC. Looks like it would be a big benefit for both of us since I haven't trained a dog before.

Re: Expectations for a new lab pup and training [Re: slymer] #5842824 07/22/15 03:27 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
For strictly a hunting dog I really like the Chris Akins Duck Dog Basics but a full program would be beneficial too....like Lardy, Graham, Hillman, etc.

It really depends on what your expectations for your dog is. I'll give you one example that I give folks...hunt test dogs are trained to get their mark and come back in a straight line. I didn't want my dog to do that, I want her to get back to me asap so we can shoot more ducks...many times she can run a bank much faster than swimming. It is best to decide now what your expectations are for your dog (end state) because there can some things (like my example) that once started can be extremely difficult to change.

Good luck and enjoy the pup!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Expectations for a new lab pup and training [Re: slymer] #5843668 07/23/15 12:07 AM
T
Troubador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
stop with the training and start with fun. dont worry about sit stay and here heel etc etc etc. just make retrieving fun and worry about the other stuff once you have established drive. if he doesnt have it or you takeit out of him you wont get it back. try and find a pigeon and shackle it and toss it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide