Print Thread
Electronic Calls for Hogs??? #5629843 03/02/15 01:57 PM
V
VAFish Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
V
Has anyone had any luck using electronic calls for hogs?

I was just looking through the files on my call and there are some piglet squeals.

I haven't been hog hunting in about 15 years, but my last hunt I shot a sow in some tall grass. Picked the wrong end of the pig and busted her hips. (I wasn't going to take the shot, but my guide was yelling "shoot the pig shoot the pig") She started squealing like the stuck pig she was and a big boar came charging across the paddock at us. Made for a very exciting few seconds and my buddy and I blazed away at him and ended up dropping him about 10yards in front of us.

Just made me think that a piglet squeal might bring them in. Or turn mamma sow around after shooting some of them.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: VAFish] #5629960 03/02/15 02:46 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have seen a electronic call work one night, and not the next.
I have used a pig squealer mouth call and call one in, but not the 6 times before that. I guess if the timing and sound is right, you can.
I have even called in a hog with just a deer grunt call, but I could see him and just not in bow range. He was grunting while walking thru the woods and I just mimicked him and turned him straight to me. Ended up being a whole group and I shot 2 that morning.

Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: VAFish] #5630114 03/02/15 04:07 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
I've been successful about half a dozen times or so using my Foxpro. Try downloading Big Sparring Boars and Sow Protection. Those two have worked for me.

Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: VAFish] #5630291 03/02/15 05:41 PM
V
VAFish Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
V
Sounds good.

I was planning on bringing my caller along, on the chance that if we didn't see any hogs I could at least try calling some yotes in.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: VAFish] #5634012 03/04/15 06:57 PM
4dog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Ive heard hog calls work best if you can hear them...if not...it doesnt.....but ive never tried it.

Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: VAFish] #5634047 03/04/15 07:15 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
my Johnny Stewart have about 6-7 different calls for hog grunts, squeals, feeding, distressed

I turned it on one night and my buddy from 250 yds away can hear it,
30 min later a boar came out at his feeder

Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: sqiggy] #5634072 03/04/15 07:30 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
my Johnny Stewart have about 6-7 different calls for hog grunts, squeals, feeding, distressed

I turned it on one night and my buddy from 250 yds away can hear it,
30 min later a boar came out at his feeder

Was it the call or the feeder? Personally I don't believe hog calls work, will a hog come to a call, if the opportunity is right a hog will show up with or without the call. A good example posted on this thread.

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I have seen a electronic call work one night, and not the next.
I have used a pig squealer mouth call and call one in, but not the 6 times before that. I guess if the timing and sound is right, you can.
I have even called in a hog with just a deer grunt call, but I could see him and just not in bow range. He was grunting while walking thru the woods and I just mimicked him and turned him straight to me. Ended up being a whole group and I shot 2 that morning.

I have turned down a small fortune in refusing to make hog calls like the commercially available calls, they are made the same as predator calls, I even have the same reeds that the big boys use. But I refuse to make something that I feel is bs. But I will be glad to sell you a deer grunt call that mimics the hog grunt, or a cottontail predator call that mimics the squeal of a pig, and you can call it what ever you desire.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: VAFish] #5634130 03/04/15 08:03 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I've called them in myself not at feeders and not on trails. It's just like anything else if they wanna come in they do, just because you blow a grunt call and no deer show up don't mean it don't work. Hogs are very vocal, way more so than whitetail it only makes sense to me that they would be easier to call because of that. I just think we don't know what to say and when because they don't have antlers so nobody is gonna study them like they do whitetail. Glenn Guess has proven many times they can be called regularly. Just gotta know what to say and when.

Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: cmc] #5634147 03/04/15 08:15 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: cmc
I've called them in myself not at feeders and not on trails. It's just like anything else if they wanna come in they do, just because you blow a grunt call and no deer show up don't mean it don't work. Hogs are very vocal, way more so than whitetail it only makes sense to me that they would be easier to call because of that. I just think we don't know what to say and when because they don't have antlers so nobody is gonna study them like they do whitetail. Glenn Guess has proven many times they can be called regularly. Just gotta know what to say and when.

Yes he has. The ones that I've called in were mostly single dominant boars defending territory. That's why I use the Big Sparring Boars. All of them I've called in have come in with their hair raised, popping their jaws, and looking to fight. One was about to eat my call when a buddy shot him. I've killed 5 or so that way. Another came in to Sow Protection and it was a big sow. I called in a group once and they came in to Feeding Frenzy. The reason I think I've had success is I know where three of their bedding areas are and I've always had success in the middle of the day when I know they are bedded down. I always set up down wind about 200 yds away and crank up the volume. It is a rush like nothing else when a 200 plus pound boar comes charging in looking to kill something.

Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: cmc] #5634166 03/04/15 08:24 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: cmc
Glenn Guess has proven many times they can be called regularly.

that's the guy I was thinking of when folks question the validity of hog calls

Re: Electronic Calls for Hogs??? [Re: VAFish] #5638238 03/06/15 10:21 PM
Mountain Lion Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I've had hogs come to a jackrabbit in distress call on my Foxpro. Same with a 6 foot rattlesnake.

ML
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide