Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! #5491922 12/22/14 03:34 AM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Hi guys,

I've just been drawn for the Australian equivalent of a sheep tag in the US, I was drawn for first period hog deer tags next year! The guy that gave me the good news has been in for 25 consecutive years without success so I'm feeling like one very blessed young hunter.

To hunt them I need a tree stand, my period is in Feb so I don't have heaps of time to get everything ready. Can anyone make a recommendation on some value for money stands, I can't afford an expensive one, just need something that'll hold my weight around 190lb for 8 hours a day over the week. This year the weather that time was sitting between 110-113 degrees, but I'll wear it all day every day if it gets me a chance at a hoggie!

Thanks in advance,

Jack

I prefer meat in it's original packaging.

JP Hunting - Australian big game guide and outfitter service.
Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5491928 12/22/14 03:37 AM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Also which is better for really sticky branching trees? there wont be any smooth barked ones about.

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5492014 12/22/14 04:16 AM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Climbing or fixed tree stand? Do you have a harness?

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5492020 12/22/14 04:19 AM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Don't know the difference between climbing and fixed sorry and no I don't have a harness but I'll get one.

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5492066 12/22/14 04:44 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I prefer a ladder stand. Little more stable, don't have to worry about limbs like you would a climber, easier to practice out of because you know the height, and a lot of different style options.

Around here you can find a good one for under $200. I prefer the two man styles that the bench folds up. Give a large platform which makes the long sits easier because you can stand up and stretch. If I went with a single, I would find the one with the biggest platform and best seat.

Good luck and congrats on the draw cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5492075 12/22/14 04:50 AM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this? just from looking around seems to be around the best value for money one I've seen.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Treestands/Hang-On-Treestands%7C/pc/104791680/c/104783580/sc/104374080/Big-Game-Treestands-The-Phoenix-Hang-On-Treestand/1829336.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhang-on-treestands%2F_%2FN-1100102%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253B%2BLNcat104374080%253Bcat104783580%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3B+LNcat104374080%3Bcat104783580%3Bcat104374080

txshntr - Thanks for the tip, I actually did buy a ladder stand once, paid for it in full and all and when it came time to ship it was 2lb to heavy and they wouldn't do it. Normally Id go it again but hoggies are super sensitive to any change in their environment and having a ladder would put them off straight away. I do plan on getting one for red and fallow deer though some day.

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5492156 12/22/14 06:31 AM
B
Bdontexoma Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
If you plan on sitting for a full 8 hours, you should go with something like this...

Hang on stand #1

OR

Hang on stand #2

IMO the small cheaper stands are not comfortable at all to sit in all day... I cannot sit for more than 4 hours tops in one of the smaller stands before having to get down and walk around.

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5493502 12/22/14 10:47 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Well a climbing tree stand is the type you carry into the hunting place but you need a telephone pole type of a tree, not one with a lot of branches. This leaves a hang on and a ladder. The hang on style is just a stand. When they first came out guys drove iron spikes into the tree to use to climb the tree. These spikes were not very visible. Then the spikes were outlawed or frowned upon and ladders tied to the tree were used. Since ladders then became common newer models that were both ladder and a seat(stand) at the top came into production.
Since Feb is summer where you are and you said the temp will be high, scent will be an issue. You'll want to be as high into the tree as possible.
Many years ago (I'm dating myself) stands were put right into existing trees. These were home made stands using 2x4 lumber. If the tree had wide spreading branches- like a live oak- these stands were actually pretty invisible.
Are there any other hunters in your area you can contact as far as what they use?

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5493675 12/22/14 11:47 PM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Thanks for the info guys,

Dave Scott - thank you for the in depth reply.
I think it's settled on hang on's from what I've heard.

Not really in the way of hunters. There are 3 periods per year, each with 4 people for a week each. Unlike in the states where draws are mostly state based. As long as you're an aussie no matter what state you're in you can go in with an equal chance. Because of that people come from everywhere and no one I know has been drawn (up until this year, now 2 others I know are in!). I'm from the state it's drawn in which gives me the benefit of only a 7 hour drive plus a small boat ride but some guys come from all over!

So to answer the question, not up until now have I met anyone with info. I've spoken to one guy who was drawn two years ago I've just been introduced to and have been picking his brain the past couple of hours. He uses a hang on stand, and for the whole week only one deer was seen between all four hunters, just turned out to be a 9" stag that he shot!

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5494276 12/23/14 03:37 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I use API Baby Grands. Sturdy, plenty big, very comfortable, and not too expensive.

Congratulations and good luck to you!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5495439 12/23/14 06:42 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
A few other final considerations. To get up the tree, to hang the stand, you will need either a ladder or strap on steps. The ladder is secured to the tree with a series of straps, one strap about every 4 feet. These ladders still require a fairly straight tree and at least one side free from branches. These ladders come in 4 foot sections and typically hunters will use either a 12 foot or 16 foot ladder. If you are pretty sure the trees in the area you hunt are going to have twisted trunks and a lot of branches, then you might want to consider strap on steps. In fact with strong enough branches here and there you can sometimes use these strap on steps between sturdy limbs, therefore reducing the number of steps needed. You can also get higher into the tree which might help on the scent issue. If you are allowed legally to use the screw in steps- they are more steady that the strap on and should be used.
If the woods are thick, you might want to consider cutting "shooting lanes". This is more a bow hunting thing but it might apply. Bring a pole with a pruning saw taped to the end- so you can trim any branches in nearby trees to create a pathway for the bullet.
You'll need a spare rope when you hang a stand. The way I do it is to tie in the ladder or strap on the steps. When I am up in the tree I tie a rope with a loop around the tree trunk a little above my head and then run another rope through that loop so I can haul up the tree stand. I tie off the tree stand which is now hanging by the rope. At that point I wrap the chain around the tree and secure the stand. You will need both hands free so inorder to stay in place you need a safety harness and have it secured to the tree.
And..safety, safety, safety. Falling out of a tree is not good. Wear your harness as you go up and down the tree as well as when you are in the tree. Don't have a live round in the rifle while hauling it up and down. Rifles can swing around and get damaged. If you have a gun sock, keep that over the firearm while hauling it up and down.

Last edited by Dave Scott; 12/23/14 06:46 PM.
Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5495465 12/23/14 06:48 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
finding a tree with good climbing limbs makes life a lot easier... I hardly have ladders/pegs on my stands

Last edited by Navasot; 12/23/14 06:49 PM.
Re: Need Tree stand help ASAP please guys! [Re: JPHunting] #5495716 12/23/14 08:29 PM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Thanks a lot guys, appreciate all the help.

I ended up buying a big game treestand's platinum phoenix hang on along with some screw in spikes. This will be my only hunt on this block (unless the hunting gods really love me and I get drawn again this lifetime) so I can't really make alterations to the environment. In addition to that it's illegal we can't remove any vegetation or soil from public land here.

Aside from this hunt I'll use it again in April for a few days but aside from that I'll just use it for bow hunting which I don't do that often anymore now that I hunt deer with my german shorthair. It'll be the thing I use in the warmer months while the snakes are out and I don't want my dog getting bitten.

Thanks again you've all been a great help.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide