Print Thread
Hog patterns #5485001 12/18/14 06:06 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I was wondering what ya'lls thoughts were about Hogs and the type of terrain they tend to prefer. I know they are pretty much everywhere but it seems they tend to be thicker in some areas compared to others. I've seen some game cam pics of a ranch that is like 20 miles away and they are thick. I've seen 3 on my place. The place 20 miles away looks like its mainly mesquite. My area is almost exclusively oak. Do they like elevation change? Some wider open areas? Seems like the 3 Ive seen on my cameras are fairly good sized. Saw their tracks as well after a good rain but never saw any smaller tracks and not large numbers. I pretty much know I'm dealing with single hogs or a pair.
Here is the single. The other two seem to run together but I need to find the picture of them. Also neither stayed at either one of the feeders long at all. Matter of fact the guy in the pictures below I don't even think he was eating corn just acorns.

Re: Hog patterns [Re: SouthWestIron] #5485032 12/18/14 07:12 AM
R
R. Edwards Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Seems to me that I find higher concentrations of hogs around creek and river bottoms that offer thick cover for bedding down during the day. At night these same hogs venture to open fields to root. I'd venture to say the individual hogs you are seeing are loaner boars on the move looking for the next hot sow. I tend to see more hogs in the bottoms of the places I hunt versus the higher elevations. The higher elevations also tend to be rocky around me and offer less opportunity for rooting. I've got two places I hunt near my house, one has about 3/4 of a mile of wet creek frontage that is pretty thick, and ideal looking territory for hogs, and I have yet to see hogs or hog sign. The other place only has a dry creek bed and is loaded with hogs!?! The only thing I can think that seperates the two is the amount of residential development around the two. They have the same terrain and are only about 10 miles apart as a crow flies, but the more rural one has more hogs..

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide