open carry #5253264 08/14/14 08:18 PM
B
BowsNbones88 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
So I'm really not gonna start this thread with me sayin somethin
I want to hear what y'all think about open carry in Texas and see what y'all think cause I know what I think but I wanna hear what y'all have ta say

MERICA! all that needs to be said
Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5257078 08/16/14 10:59 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5258212 08/17/14 08:23 PM
H
HaveGunWillHunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I think open carry is a mistake. I am a CHL instructor and with the recent changes to our CHL program now you can receive a CHL with a minimum of 4 hours of class room and a firearms proficiency. At no point in the training is weapon retention covered. When you carry openly you tell the world hey I have a gun and here it is. At least by concealed carry you some tactical advantage by no one knowing that you are carrying or where you keep it. Yes I agree that Fanny packs and man bags say hey I have a gun or valuables but at least there is some guess work to whats in there. There are people or animals that practice taken your weapon and hurting you. Action over reaction also known as lag time. I think that open carry has the potential to get some people hurt. Just my 2 cents.

Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5283635 09/02/14 10:04 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BowsNbones88
I want to hear what y'all think about open carry in Texas and see what y'all think cause I know what I think but I wanna hear what y'all have ta say

It's stupid. That is all.

Re: open carry [Re: ntxtrapper] #5284894 09/03/14 12:22 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Originally Posted By: BowsNbones88

It's stupid. That is all.

^This

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: open carry [Re: HaveGunWillHunt] #5284940 09/03/14 12:45 AM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I agree with HaveGunWillHunt on one point and disagree on the other. First, I agree with him that concealed carry is best if done well. I disagree with him on the recent easement of standards for concealed carry licensing and renewal. It seems to me the powers that be finally figured out that the CHL class is a law class, not a gun class.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: open carry [Re: Slow Drifter] #5286520 09/03/14 09:28 PM
H
HaveGunWillHunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
I agree with HaveGunWillHunt on one point and disagree on the other. First, I agree with him that concealed carry is best if done well. I disagree with him on the recent easement of standards for concealed carry licensing and renewal. It seems to me the powers that be finally figured out that the CHL class is a law class, not a gun class.

It is a law class but it is also a mental preparation and situation awareness class. The average student now does 4-6 hrs of classroom and has the responsibility and liability that goes with carrying a firearm. Most police officers do a minimum of 600 hours plus a minimum of 80 hours every 2 years. I know the argument well its not that same thing. It is very similar you are carrying a firearm and responsible for the use of the firearm if its displayed or fired to protect yourself or someone else. I like my students to be prepared and I if they ever get in a deadly force situation the bad guy has no tactical advantage at all.

Last edited by HaveGunWillHunt; 09/03/14 09:29 PM.
Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5286535 09/03/14 09:38 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
To me if cops can open carry the citizens should be able to with the training
I would love it to be open carry everywhere and it should be our right that come with the 2nd amendment .

Re: open carry [Re: Kenneth1977] #5286839 09/04/14 12:55 AM
H
HaveGunWillHunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
I would love it to be open carry everywhere and it should be our right that come with the 2nd amendment .

I don't disagree I just know what the level of training for most CHL holders is. They are not prepared for weapon retention. Most don't train at night, don't train every time they change guns, don't train every time they get a new holster, don't practice regularly, and are more likely to have their own gun turned on them then if they were concealed carry and kept that tactical advantage. I have the opportunity to carry openly and have for over 20 years but I try to keep mine concealed as much as possible. Although I am no longer full time LE officer and just a weekend LE now. I still keep mine concealed and its my preference. I do have the training in weapon retention and as well as a CHL instructor I am also a TCLEOSE licensed Police firerams instructor. I may get in a situation where EXAMPLE: "My bank is being robbed" if I am open carry everyone knows and I am forced to act immediately. If I was concealed I have time to assess and see how many actors are involved or if there might be a sleeper posing as a victim/customer. Just another prospective on open carry. My issue isn't weather it should be your right, is it tactically right for the situation.

Last edited by HaveGunWillHunt; 09/04/14 12:57 AM.
Re: open carry [Re: Kenneth1977] #5287365 09/04/14 11:44 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C

I'll bet that if the State of Texas allowed open carry, the gangsters and thugs would still carry concealed......they know the element of surprise is a very real advantage in a gun fight. My personal belief is that if you pass the tests and can carry a firearm, then you should be able to carry it anyway you want......lots of people driving vehicles can't control them and aren't responsible and vehicles kill more people than guns, why to we want to place restrictions of firearms?

Re: open carry [Re: Concho] #5288355 09/04/14 09:59 PM
H
HaveGunWillHunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: Concho

I'll bet that if the State of Texas allowed open carry, the gangsters and thugs would still carry concealed......they know the element of surprise is a very real advantage in a gun fight. My personal belief is that if you pass the tests and can carry a firearm, then you should be able to carry it anyway you want......lots of people driving vehicles can't control them and aren't responsible and vehicles kill more people than guns, why to we want to place restrictions of firearms?

I don't disagree but its like a seatbelt we should be able to do it as long as we know the risks.

Re: open carry [Re: HaveGunWillHunt] #5288545 09/04/14 11:37 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: HaveGunWillHunt

It is a law class but it is also a mental preparation and situation awareness class. The average student now does 4-6 hrs of classroom and has the responsibility and liability that goes with carrying a firearm. Most police officers do a minimum of 600 hours plus a minimum of 80 hours every 2 years. I know the argument well its not that same thing. It is very similar you are carrying a firearm and responsible for the use of the firearm if its displayed or fired to protect yourself or someone else. I like my students to be prepared and I if they ever get in a deadly force situation the bad guy has no tactical advantage at all.

Well then that's your prerogative. If that's how you really feel about it, make each of your students prove a minimum of 600 hours of training before you will accept them into your CHL class. Problem solved. See how easy that was? As far as I know there's no law preventing an instructor from setting standards for attendance as long as they are equal to or exceed state requirements.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 09/04/14 11:38 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: open carry [Re: Slow Drifter] #5289439 09/05/14 02:24 PM
H
HaveGunWillHunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Actually the law is very specific on what can be taught and how long. Looks like you totally misunderstood what was being said. CHL holders for the most part are not properly trained to open carry

Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5290042 09/05/14 08:01 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Open carry is a touchy subject and according to our constitution we should be able to carry concealed or on the hip anywhere in america at anytime and with or without a CHL or training or the government telling us yea or nay. That is how I read it however I personally think that in Texas you should be able to carry open except in or around major cities/metroplexes.

I know that is contradicting my beliefs and hypocritical to the 2nd amendment.

But common sense says that everyone walking around with guns on their hips would not allow certain people the feeling of safety or comfort in their neighborhoods. Whether it is parents with their children that might feel uncomfortable or unsafe or me seeing some punk with his pants hanging down at his knees below his underwear and a glock with a 40 round clip on it hangin on his shoulder.

There is a time and a place for open carry and in my opinion in rural areas is where this will actually work better rather than in large cities.

And as everyone has mentioned carrying concealed is really the smart/tactical thing to do.

Open carry states do just fine so I think it would work here in Texas if given the opportunity.

GO TRUMP!
Re: open carry [Re: HaveGunWillHunt] #5290076 09/05/14 08:22 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Actually the law is very specific on what can be taught and how long. Looks like you totally misunderstood what was being said. CHL holders for the most part are not properly trained to open carry

I understand perfectly. The law sets the minimum requirements. Nothing says you can't require prerequisites to allowing someone to obtain a CHL through your course. Like the new 4-hour class option, that's a minimum requirement. If you want to require 8 you can.

A. Einstein

Re: open carry [Re: Slow Drifter] #5290148 09/05/14 09:24 PM
H
HaveGunWillHunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H

I understand perfectly. The law sets the minimum requirements. Nothing says you can't require prerequisites to allowing someone to obtain a CHL through your course. Like the new 4-hour class option, that's a minimum requirement. If you want to require 8 you can.

Negative you are required to have classroom instruction no less than 4 hrs and no longer than 6 hrs in addition to firearms proficiency. (The classroom instruction is not going to help with weapon retention lol)

Last edited by HaveGunWillHunt; 09/05/14 09:25 PM.
Re: open carry [Re: HaveGunWillHunt] #5290161 09/05/14 09:29 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Negative you are required to have classroom instruction no less than 4 hrs and no longer than 6 hrs in addition to firearms proficiency. (The classroom instruction is not going to help with weapon retention lol)

Well then I certainly apologize for my ignorance. Been a CHL holder since about 96 and didn't realize they imposed a maximum. So un-government-like. And yeah...hard to practice retention in a classroom..

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 09/05/14 09:31 PM.

A. Einstein

Re: open carry [Re: Bigfoot] #5290787 09/06/14 05:13 AM
J
JesterGrin_1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Open carry is a touchy subject and according to our constitution we should be able to carry concealed or on the hip anywhere in america at anytime and with or without a CHL or training or the government telling us yea or nay. That is how I read it however I personally think that in Texas you should be able to carry open except in or around major cities/metroplexes.

I know that is contradicting my beliefs and hypocritical to the 2nd amendment.

But common sense says that everyone walking around with guns on their hips would not allow certain people the feeling of safety or comfort in their neighborhoods. Whether it is parents with their children that might feel uncomfortable or unsafe or me seeing some punk with his pants hanging down at his knees below his underwear and a glock with a 40 round clip on it hangin on his shoulder.

There is a time and a place for open carry and in my opinion in rural areas is where this will actually work better rather than in large cities.

And as everyone has mentioned carrying concealed is really the smart/tactical thing to do.

Open carry states do just fine so I think it would work here in Texas if given the opportunity.

I am glad I read your post as I was going to say pretty much the same thing lol. But even though it may not be legal I still see in some rural areas and very small towns in South TEXAS where people will come into a small country store or hardware store and still have most of the time a revolver or to say more often than not an Old Single Action on there hip dusty and dirty and nobody will raise an eyebrow. As to these people it is like they forgot there Hammer in there belt loop. As to them it is a tool no more no less. And Gosh Forbid if they should happen to have to use that tool as they probably know how to use it and use it well. They do not need a 15 round clip to hit something when 1 will do just fine. smile

Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 09/06/14 05:26 AM.
Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5291757 09/07/14 12:53 AM
H
HaveGunWillHunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Clips are used in girls hair lol

Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5292198 09/07/14 08:28 AM
H
hovercat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have tried open carry when working in WA last year. Easy and comfortable. No permit or training required. In the city, and small children were not frightened, women did not faint and men did not rush about in panic. Really, no-one noticed or cared if they did. Bring the same to Texas.

Re: open carry [Re: hovercat] #5292873 09/07/14 07:15 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I open carried when I was working out in Arizona back in 89-90 and nobody looked twice at me.

A. Einstein

Re: open carry [Re: HaveGunWillHunt] #5293888 09/08/14 03:23 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Concho

I don't disagree but its like a seatbelt we should be able to do it as long as we know the risks.

I think we closely agree on this issue.....

Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5293943 09/08/14 04:21 AM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I like the tactical advantage of folks not knowing I am carrying, especially in Starbucks and Target.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: open carry [Re: BowsNbones88] #5294110 09/08/14 12:54 PM
H
hovercat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Interesting. The tactical advantage of having to draw your gun from concealment and suprising the bad guys. On the other side is the OC where the bad guy sees a steady slow trickle of armed persons going in and out of the store and no-one has to draw a gun.
The tactical advantage of easily carrying a full size pistol instead of trying to hide a p238 in the TX heat.
I think that OC should support CC and CC should support OC. If a citizen is not infringing upon me or mine, they can go to Heaven or hades their own way.

Re: open carry [Re: hovercat] #5294219 09/08/14 01:43 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: hovercat
Interesting. The tactical advantage of having to draw your gun from concealment and suprising the bad guys. On the other side is the OC where the bad guy sees a steady slow trickle of armed persons going in and out of the store and no-one has to draw a gun.
The tactical advantage of easily carrying a full size pistol instead of trying to hide a p238 in the TX heat.
I think that OC should support CC and CC should support OC. If a citizen is not infringing upon me or mine, they can go to Heaven or hades their own way.
If we lived in a third world country, I could see your point. We don't. I don't want to be the first target because it's obvious I am armed, and keep in mind, not all the good guys will be armed, if they were, then yes, I could see us all open carrying.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide