Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik #4724170 11/06/13 03:34 AM
W
Wildcatforlife Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
W
I am considering a hunt with Haiden Mensik in the George West area. Anyone know anything good or bad about this operator? Your input is appreciated.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Wildcatforlife] #4724337 11/06/13 04:34 AM
C3 guide Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Good guy sent many hunters to him and nothing but good luck. Goes above and beyond to get his guys deer. 5 stars from me and I'm picky

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: C3 guide] #4724387 11/06/13 05:19 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
2 post going at the same time...This seems odd.... confused2

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ers#Post4719314

Maybe because they locked one down... so another popped up.... peep

Last edited by SheepHunter; 11/06/13 05:26 AM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: LuckyHunter] #4725163 11/06/13 03:39 PM
D
dkite Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner SheepHunter wins I dont know what but you win. Funny how this person just registered yesterday really coincidental if you ask me.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: dkite] #4725238 11/06/13 04:01 PM
T
T Bone Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
T
What's the coincidence? The guy signed up & asked for input about an outfitter (the good & bad) that he's considering.. If you have anything to offer the guy, move on..

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: T Bone] #4725436 11/06/13 04:58 PM
J
jbd76266 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ers#Post4719314

They are referring to this post and the fact that once it got locked, a new post from a new user pops up asking about that operation.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: jbd76266] #4725468 11/06/13 05:07 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Wildcat- I have references that hunt hunted anything from nilgai to javelina. Those who have killed and those who have not. I would be happy to provide them to you.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: STXHO] #4725919 11/06/13 07:03 PM
S
Sq2 hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
That is sort of a coincidence... I wonder why stxhuntingoutfitters haven't said anything to the post Yall are talking about. I would def try to defend myself to that post...

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Sq2 hunter] #4725959 11/06/13 07:14 PM
W
Wildcatforlife Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
W
Thanks for the input folks. There is nothing cynical about my inquiry. Just trying to cover all basis before investing a lot of money in a hunt.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Sq2 hunter] #4726227 11/06/13 08:44 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
That is sort of a coincidence... I wonder why stxhuntingoutfitters haven't said anything to the post Yall are talking about. I would def try to defend myself to that post...

I did already bud. I invite anyone to call me or email if they want the whole story or have any questions. I wish I had enought time to sit infront of the computer and go back and forth but it's hunting season. smile

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: STXHO] #4726526 11/06/13 10:10 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
All I know is that it only takes one bad apple to ruin the whole barrel so to speak and I hope all parties involved realize this and are being honest with not only each other, but everyone else as well. Not many secrets in the hunting community.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: tShawnB] #4727385 11/07/13 02:29 AM
L
LittleD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I done a Javelina/Hog hunt with Haiden in Tilden Tx back in the summer, 6 people we all got shots. No problems on that hunt. You can see it at Destinyoutdoors javelina hunt on youtube.

Danny
Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: LittleD] #4727591 11/07/13 03:34 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I just hunted with Haiden a couple weekends ago. The weather really wreaked havoc on his place, and he offered to reschedule. We decided to hunt anyway. It was our choice. The hunting was slow, so he did what he could to make it better. He didn't have to. He was very accommodating and much more personal than guides I'm used to. I'll be going back.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Sneaky] #4727637 11/07/13 03:49 AM
C3 guide Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Haiden isn't a joke and he handles his business. I'm a outfitter thats sent him hunters. Never had a complaint. I booked my personal hunt with him and also have referred several high end guys to him. Never had a issue at all

One bad apple in the same basket of 300 good apples will cause stomach worms

Last edited by C3 guide; 11/07/13 03:52 AM.
Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: C3 guide] #4728961 11/07/13 06:09 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate the positive comments. Myself and my guides work hard for out customers. I will keep the forum updated on this years deer season. I would love to show the ones who are doubting that I have deer on my ranch that they really do exist!

Thanks Again cheers

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: STXHO] #4731265 11/08/13 02:23 PM
R
rockinrdranch Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Haiden is a hell of a outfitter, guide and a great all around guy. You won't be sorry spending your money with him! We need more people in the hunting industry like him.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: STXHO] #4732670 11/08/13 11:13 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: STXHUNTINGOUTFITTERS
Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate the positive comments. Myself and my guides work hard for out customers. I will keep the forum updated on this years deer season. I would love to show the ones who are doubting that I have deer on my ranch that they really do exist!

Thanks Again cheers

Please do that. I'm still wanting to book a deer hunt at some point.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Sneaky] #4732799 11/09/13 12:23 AM
S
Sq2 hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I've never hunted with him but with all the posts I've read about his hunts since he has been on THF, it sounds as if he is a good outfitter.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Wildcatforlife] #6259552 04/14/16 01:23 PM
S
Steve T Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Not in my opinion. Read on for details:

It took me a while to write this review as I was attempting to work something out with the guide service to resolve the problems I encountered. As a consolation I was offered a follow up hunt for one person in Freer Texas in June. This is a long write up, so get some popcorn and read on. The short version is to avoid this outfitter like the black plague.

I started communicating with Haiden Mensik in September of 2015 attempting to book a Javelina hunt for my Father, my Son, and me. We have hunted feral hogs several times and very specifically wanted to book a Javelina hunt. This was made clear in several emails back and forth with the owner, Haiden Mensik. I had to correct his reference to a “Hog hunt” multiple times and remind him we wanted to hunt Javelina, or not go at all.

Once I confirmed the dates of Feb 15-17 for the three of us, the communication problems continued. Emails went unanswered for days, despite multiple re-sends from me. Finally as we neared the hunting dates, I needed to confirm the location of the actual ranch with Haiden. The first request for this information went out in December and I had to follow up in January to get a response, which ultimately changed again two weeks before the hunt.

I sent a final pre-hunt email to Haiden on February 3rd, confirming our arrival on Sunday February 14th to start hunting on the morning of the 15th. At this point Haiden had confirmed the hunting location as Jourdanton, TX and also told me lodging would be included in the hunt. I confirmed in writing we planned to stay at the ranch on the nights of Feb 14, 15, & 16.

On February 6th, I texted Haiden for the address of the ranch in Jourdanton. On February 8th, not having received a reply, I sent another text asking for directions when we arrived on Sunday night. 24 hours later on February 9th I sent a third text nearly begging for a reply and address for our arrival. Later that evening (three days after the first request) Haiden told me he was moving us to Refugio where he “located some javelina.” He said we would meet at the local Dairy Queen in Woodsboro and to call when we arrived.

We arrived at San Antonio airport and I texted Haiden at 3pm on Sunday February 14th to let him know we were on the way. He replied asking if we were coming in “today or tomorrow?” “Tomorrow is what I have you down for.” Turned out Haiden Mensik had the flu so he referred us to Hayden Wagoner (another guide from STXHO).

Hayden Wagoner was not available to meet us Sunday either. So the ranch hand, Tyler came out to meet us and bring us back to the lodge. We arrived to a filthy lodge with no bedding on the beds (other than the dirty linens left from the prior hunting group.) Obviously we were not expected. Tyler was very pleasant and did his best to help us get settled.

I knew all was lost when Tyler asked us “Y’all ready to hunt some hogs tomorrow?” and I replied, “Nope, we are here for the Javelina!” at which point Tyler deadpan informed me “We don’t have any javelina on this ranch. We have lots of hogs though!” Imagine my disappointment having booked a hunt for my father and son for Javelina and being told “We ain’t got none here,” on arrival.

Sure enough, neither sightings of hogs nor javelina the first morning. When Hayden Wagoner arrived he was a very professional guide who also said “Javelina are very rare in these parts.” Tuesday afternoon the camp manager, Chis Fontenot arrived and confirmed once again that “Javelina are just not found this far north. Why don’t you just enjoy hunting hogs?” We were then rushed out after lunch on the last day to make room for the next group of hunters. Who knew a three day hunt didn’t include the last afternoon?

At the end of our trip my father, son, and I spent some quality time together hunting for hogs (none of us harvested one.) However, I could have done that near my father’s home in Florida as we have done in the past for far less expense that this trip. Haiden Mensik mislead me about the possibility of finding Javelina on his property and conned me out of the expense for the trip, flights, meals, and hotel room for the night before our flight out.

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Wildcatforlife] #6259737 04/14/16 03:16 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
popcorn looking forward to hearing more about this

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: kdkane1971] #6259874 04/14/16 04:29 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

X2 on this one.....from one extreme to the other in the posts.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: kdkane1971] #6259909 04/14/16 04:46 PM
K
KP85 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Tagging this for later..

"The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem."
-Milton Friedman-
Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Wildcatforlife] #6260061 04/14/16 06:17 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Steve T
I hunted the property near Refugio. Here is my review of it.

It took me a while to write this review as I was attempting to work something out with the guide service to resolve the problems I encountered. As a consolation I was offered a follow up hunt for one person in Freer Texas in June. This is a long write up, so get some popcorn and read on. The short version is to avoid this outfitter like the black plague.

I started communicating with Haiden Mensik in September of 2015 attempting to book a Javelina hunt for my Father, my Son, and me. We have hunted feral hogs several times and very specifically wanted to book a Javelina hunt. This was made clear in several emails back and forth with the owner, Haiden Mensik. I had to correct his reference to a “Hog hunt” multiple times and remind him we wanted to hunt Javelina, or not go at all.

Once I confirmed the dates of Feb 15-17 for the three of us, the communication problems continued. Emails went unanswered for days, despite multiple re-sends from me. Finally as we neared the hunting dates, I needed to confirm the location of the actual ranch with Haiden. The first request for this information went out in December and I had to follow up in January to get a response, which ultimately changed again two weeks before the hunt.

Yes, email did go unanswered for days. I will admit that- when your running several ranches daylight till dark during the middle of deer season it is hard to respond with away. I apologized to Steve about that and he was ok with it, AT THE TIME. When booking the hunt I informed him that I would reach out to hunt before the hunt, and that is exactly what I did.

I sent a final pre-hunt email to Haiden on February 3rd, confirming our arrival on Sunday February 14th to start hunting on the morning of the 15th. At this point Haiden had confirmed the hunting location as Jourdanton, TX and also told me lodging would be included in the hunt. I confirmed in writing we planned to stay at the ranch on the nights of Feb 14, 15, & 16.
On February 6th, I texted Haiden for the address of the ranch in Jourdanton. On February 8th, not having received a reply, I sent another text asking for directions when we arrived on Sunday night. 24 hours later on February 9th I sent a third text nearly begging for a reply and address for our arrival. Later that evening (three days after the first request) Haiden told me he was moving us to Refugio where he “located some javelina.” He said we would meet at the local Dairy Queen in Woodsboro and to call when we arrived.

I had planned on them hunting a ranch in Jourdanton, but I gained access to a ranch near Refugio so I planned on hunting them there instead. If I am not mistaken, they would have had to provide their own lodging in Jourdanton. In Refugio the lodging is included so I thought they would like that more and it would save them some $.

We arrived at San Antonio airport and I texted Haiden at 3pm on Sunday February 14th to let him know we were on the way. He replied asking if we were coming in “today or tomorrow?” “Tomorrow is what I have you down for.” Turned out Haiden Mensik had the flu so he referred us to Hayden Wagoner (another guide from STXHO).

I was sick with the flu and did not have my book on me when he texted me. I did not want to wait too long to respond to him because I would have been nervous flying somewhere and not hearing from the outfitter after texting him when I arrived, so I asked him the question because I knew he would know the answer!

Hayden Wagoner was not available to meet us Sunday either. So the ranch hand, Tyler came out to meet us and bring us back to the lodge. We arrived to a filthy lodge with no bedding on the beds (other than the dirty linens left from the prior hunting group.) Obviously we were not expected. Tyler was very pleasant and did his best to help us get settled.

I think filthy is exaggerated. There was bedding and sheets on all of the beds. You guys on the board can believe what you want.

I knew all was lost when Tyler asked us “Y’all ready to hunt some hogs tomorrow?” and I replied, “Nope, we are here for the Javelina!” at which point Tyler deadpan informed me “We don’t have any javelina on this ranch. We have lots of hogs though!” Imagine my disappointment having booked a hunt for my father and son for Javelina and being told “We ain’t got none here,” on arrival.

Tyler was a new guide to this ranch. We hah hog hunters on the ranch prior to that point so he expected them to be hunting hogs. He had never spent time on the pasture that Steve was going to be hunting so of course he would say that there are no javelina.

Sure enough, neither sightings of hogs nor javelina the first morning. When Hayden Wagoner arrived he was a very professional guide who also said “Javelina are very rare in these parts.” Tuesday afternoon the camp manager, Chis Fontenot arrived and confirmed once again that “Javelina are just not found this far north. Why don’t you just enjoy hunting hogs?” We were then rushed out after lunch on the last day to make room for the next group of hunters. Who knew a three day hunt didn’t include the last afternoon?

Before Steve booked the hunt I informed him his hunt ended on the morning of his 3rd day. No one rushed him out, thats exaggerated. Chris also did not tell him that. Just because you don't see the game you are hunting does not mean they aren't there?

At the end of our trip my father, son, and I spent some quality time together hunting for hogs (none of us harvested one.) However, I could have done that near my father’s home in Florida as we have done in the past for far less expense that this trip. Haiden Mensik mislead me about the possibility of finding Javelina on his property and conned me out of the expense for the trip, flights, meals, and hotel room for the night before our flight out.

I don't believe I conned anyone out of anything. I don't believe I misled anyone either.

After Steves hunt he reached out to me expressing his complaints/ concerns. I was not aware of any of this while he was hunting with me. I asked my guides periodically throughout the hunt if things were ok, how is everyones attitude, etc, etc. I was told everyone was happy and things are great. IF steve had an issue he should of picked up the phone and called me. At least that is what I would have done???
So when Steve emailed me after the hunt I was shocked at what he had told me. I offered to take him to another ranch for free and make it up to him, which I will still do. He did not actually agree but he showed interested. I explained to him that I was sorry and I understood his frustration. (Which I really do). I then put him in contact with my foreman who was supposed to work out the hunt. I was then told by my foreman that Steve declined the offer, and he was going to post reviews everywhere and anywhere he could. After hearing this I reached out to Steve again and expressed my concerns and made him the same offer. I told Steve I would personally make sure he had a good time and I would be there to take care of him. No response from Steve at that point. I then tried to contact Steve by phone with no luck then received a txt message saying he was in a meeting - I asked for him to call me at his convenience.

Im well aware that the board will take Steves side being that he is the paid hunter and by all means a hunter is always right, the outfitter is always the bad guy in these situations. However I would like everyone to know that I did reach out to him in hopes of making it right, I have built my business on Christian morals and I treat others the way I would like to be treated. I can tell you a lot of stories about hunters and things they have done that aren't so christian like. I do believe Steve is a great guy, and this was just a bad deal for both of us. I know he is out time and $ for his hunt. I have been burned on hunts before and it sucks. I would not bring someone across the country to intentionally screw them. My offer still stands to make it right, I can't say that I believe he will take me up on it but I would be very happy if Steve would come down and give it another try.

Haiden Mensik

Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Wildcatforlife] #6260173 04/14/16 07:13 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Two well written accounts of the same event. I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say.
popcorn

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: South Texas Hunting Outfitter Haiden Mensik [Re: Wildcatforlife] #6260286 04/14/16 08:05 PM
S
Steve T Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I saved all the emails and text messages back and forth from everyone involved. I am happy to share them with anyone interested but did not want to waste forum members time reading through all them in a post.

Neither Hayden nor his team are bad people, but South Texas Hunting Outfitters does not communicate in a timely nor accurate manner with their clients. I have hunted with many outfitters over the years, including a trip to South Africa in 2013 and never once did I have to repeatedly follow up to get answers to emails, texts, or calls. Most, if not all of STXHO's communication to me was answered within hours, and definitely not days.

To set a few things straight:

There was NOT bedding on the beds. I slept with my jacket rolled up as a pillow on a towel laid out on the mattress. I would be happy to have anyone call my 71 year old father or 15 year old son to ask them about this. Haiden was not there so he does not know this.

I did not call Haiden during or shortly after the hunt because he was down with the Flu. I left him alone for a few weeks until he was (hopefully) feeling better. I DID VERY CLEARLY express my dissatisfaction to Chris Fortenot while on the ranch.

I did turn down the offer to return to hunt in South Texas in June when I was told by Chris that was my only option (and he said he was told to say that - happy to send a copy of that text also). The original hunt was in February and it was hot enough then. I can't imagine sitting in a steel box blind in June in Texas!

If anyone wants further details, copies of the emails or texts, feel free to PM or email me. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well requesting a refund.

Haiden and his team might very well be great people, but I have great difficulty justifying spending thousands of dollars on travel and vacation time again to try and coordinate a hunt with them again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide